Why can't i apply the simple average velocity formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses an error in using the formula Vavg = (v + v0)/2, which is only correct for linear functions. The correct formula for finding average velocity for non-linear functions is to integrate the function and divide by the interval or number of points. The conversation also mentions the quadratic function x = 12t2-2t3 and how using the simpler formula for average velocity gives an incorrect answer. The correct formula for average velocity for this function is not a quadratic function.
rainstom07
I'm doing a homework problem (i already know the answer) and i came across an error in my logic/application of the formula Vavg = (v + v0)/2. Hopefully you can help me understand why it's incorrect to use the formula.

x = 12t2-2t3 describes a particle position. the derivative of x = 24t-6t2.

The homework question asked me find the average velocity between t = 0 and t = 3.

Using the formula Vavg = Δx/Δt yields 18 m/s... the correct answer.

---
When i use the simpler formula: Vavg = (vf + vi) / 2 = (x'(3.0)+x'(0.0))/2 = 18/2. I get 9 m/s which is incorrect.

--
Adding the velocity at t=3 with the velocity at t=0 and then dividing by 2 should've produced 18 m/s... My logic is clearly wrong, but how?

x' describes the velocity of the particle at t seconds? right?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rainstom, welcome to Physics Forums

Your average forumla (t0+t3)/2 is only correct if x is a linear function of t ie a straight line.

The function x = 12t2-2t3 is decidedly non linear

The way to derive an average for a non linear function (works for linear as well but is trivial) is to integrate the function and divide by the interval or number of points or samples.

So average = Area/Interval

Does this help and can you now obtain the correct answer?

Your average forumla (t0+t3)/2 is only correct if x is a linear function of t ie a straight line.

Thank you! i knew there was some sort of condition attached to the simpler version of average velocity.

Does this help and can you now obtain the correct answer?
^^ yup

Studiot said:
Hello rainstom, welcome to Physics Forums

The function x = 12t2-2t3 is decidedly non linear

I suppose you meant v_avg = (v_0 + v_3)/2 is only correct if v is a linear function of t.?

X must then be a quadratic function of t, and x = 12t2-2t3 isn't a quadratic.

Hello willem2 does this attachment help?

The average velocity is the number which if you multiplied it by the time would give you the total distance travelled.

Attachments

• average1.jpg
    average1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 640

1. Why is the simple average velocity formula not accurate?

The simple average velocity formula does not take into account changes in velocity over time and assumes a constant velocity. This is not always the case in real-life situations, where velocity may change constantly.

2. Can the simple average velocity formula be used for all types of motion?

No, the simple average velocity formula is only applicable for motion with a constant velocity. It cannot be used for accelerated motion, where the velocity is changing over time.

3. How is the simple average velocity formula different from the instantaneous velocity formula?

The simple average velocity formula calculates the average velocity over a period of time, while the instantaneous velocity formula calculates the velocity at a specific moment in time.

4. Why is the simple average velocity formula still taught if it is not accurate?

The simple average velocity formula is often taught as a starting point for understanding velocity and motion. It provides a basic understanding and can be built upon with more complex formulas for more accurate calculations.

5. Are there any situations where the simple average velocity formula can be used?

Yes, the simple average velocity formula can still be used in some situations where the velocity remains relatively constant over a short period of time. However, for more accurate calculations, it is recommended to use other formulas that take into account changes in velocity over time.