How to Safely Dispose of a Frozen Soda Can

• Thread starter Hydrangea
  • Start date
In summary, someone put a can of Sierra Mist in an unusually oriented position, causing it to freeze and expand.
Hydrangea
I joined this group specifically because of this q. I came home and found a can of Sierra Mist at the back of my fridge, in a uniquely expanded orientation. It looks like a double ended bullet.
Of course, I realized what was happening, the thing froze, and I delicately placed it into my stainless steel sink, hoping it has done its worst.
Help! Is there something I need to do to dispose or dispel this safely??

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not dangerous. If you're really concerned, set it a fair distance away and shoot it.

Stick a fork in it.

If the can froze without bursting, just put it into some tap water until the contents have melted. Remember, water expands when it freezes, so the extra volume of the ice should vanish when the contents return to a liquid state.

Danger said:
It's not dangerous. If you're really concerned, set it a fair distance away and shoot it.

Sigh * of relief. Thank you!

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Stick a fork in it.

Because its done?

SteamKing said:
If the can froze without bursting, just put it into some tap water until the contents have melted. Remember, water expands when it freezes, so the extra volume of the ice should vanish when the contents return to a liquid state.
Thank you thank you, all. I put it in the sink, winced* and covered it with a cloth. Oy!
I read on a wiki answer that, "freezing causes the CO2 out of solution, and there is no room for the CO2 with the frozen water crystals," taking up space...or something like that. "The CO2 will go back into solution as it melts."
Wow. Weird to open the fridge up to.
Thank goodness I saw it! I was just loading up a few more cans because it was sooo hot today. Thanks all, near disaster (or mess, at least!) avoided.

This must be the most exciting thread on PF

HomogenousCow said:
This must be the most exciting thread on PF
Could be. Lol. I am just grateful anyone answered! Anyways, I'm no physics genius, so I figured Id throw it out there to the smart peeps.
Besides, it's more fun than some calculus problem. (Maybe).

Hydrangea said:
Besides, it's more fun than some calculus problem.

Only if you follow the advice in#2

1. Why might a soda can explode?

A soda can might explode due to a buildup of pressure inside the can. This can happen if the can is shaken or exposed to high temperatures, causing the carbon dioxide gas inside to expand.

2. Is it safe to drink from a soda can that might explode?

No, it is not safe to drink from a soda can that might explode. The pressure inside the can can cause it to burst open and potentially injure someone.

3. How can I prevent a soda can from exploding?

To prevent a soda can from exploding, make sure to store it in a cool and stable environment. Avoid shaking the can and never expose it to extreme temperatures. Also, make sure to open the can slowly and carefully, releasing the pressure slowly.

4. Can a soda can still explode after it has been opened?

No, once a soda can has been opened, the pressure inside has been released and it is no longer at risk of exploding. However, if the can has been shaken or exposed to high temperatures before opening, it may still spray or fizz out of the top.

5. What should I do if a soda can explodes?

If a soda can explodes, first make sure to clean up any spilled liquid or broken pieces of the can. Then, check for any injuries and seek medical attention if needed. If the explosion occurs in a confined space, make sure to ventilate the area to avoid breathing in any fumes.