Some basic questions about radio interferometer (Direction Finding)

In summary, the conversation discusses interferometer technology and addresses concerns about missing formulas for rms angular accuracy and DF Accuracy. The conversation also touches on the importance of the space between antennas for accuracy and ambiguity, and asks about the meaning of "gross error rate" in interferometer technology.
senmeis
Hello,

I’m a beginner to interferometer technology. While reading the attached article about this technology I find two formulas are missing. Please help me with them.

1. On page 5-8.8: rms angular accuracy.
2. In Table 3 on page 5-8.9: DF Accuracy.

As far as I understand the space between antennas shall be
a. Great enough for better accuracy
and
b. Small enough (< λ/2) to avoid ambiguity.

Is that correct?

At last I have a question to „gross error rate“? What does it mean in interferometer? You can find this term here: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090079634.

Thanks in advance
Senmeis

Attachments

• sig-sort.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 575
Engineering news on Phys.org
senmeis said:
As far as I understand the space between antennas shall be
a. Great enough for better accuracy
and
b. Small enough (< λ/2) to avoid ambiguity.
Is that correct?
Yes, that is a correct generalisation.
When you employ more than two elements it becomes more complex.

1. What is a radio interferometer?

A radio interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure radio waves from celestial bodies. It works by combining signals from multiple radio telescopes to create a detailed image of the source of the radio waves.

2. How does a radio interferometer work?

A radio interferometer works by collecting radio waves from a specific location in space using multiple radio telescopes. The signals are then combined and analyzed using computer algorithms to create an image of the radio waves' source.

3. What is the purpose of using multiple radio telescopes in an interferometer?

The use of multiple radio telescopes in an interferometer allows for a more detailed and accurate image of the radio waves' source. By combining the signals from different locations, the interferometer can overcome the limitations of a single telescope and produce a sharper image.

4. What are some applications of radio interferometers?

Radio interferometers are primarily used in astronomy to study celestial objects and phenomena such as stars, galaxies, and black holes. They can also be used in satellite communication and navigation systems.

5. What are the advantages of using a radio interferometer over a single radio telescope?

The main advantage of using a radio interferometer is the ability to produce high-resolution images of distant objects in space. This is achieved by combining signals from multiple telescopes, which increases the interferometer's sensitivity and resolution. Additionally, interferometers can also operate at different frequencies, providing a broader range of data for analysis.

Back