Is my understanding of Einstein right?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in learning Physics as a hobby, with a background in Mathematics. They mention watching a PBS documentary on Einstein and his attempts to unify Relativity with Quantum Mechanics. The conversation also brings up Einstein's critics and his potential reaction to the development of Quantum Mechanics if he were alive today. The conversation ends with a discussion about Einstein's impact on quantum mechanics and the wish for him to have seen Bell's theorem.
Jamin2112
My background is Mathematics. I'm thinking about learning Physics as a hobby. I know a little Physics from courses and research I did in college. I rented from the public library a few weeks ago a PBS documentary on Einstein because I wanted to have a basic idea of his life and theories. The video was very critical of Einstein. It said that shortly before Einstein died, Quantum Mechanics had become a popular theory and Einstein had desperately tried to unify the field of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics but had failed to do so. They said that if Einstein was alive today to see Quantum Mechanics, he might've changed his mind about many things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Such documentary are often scripted by illiterate people who have no knowledge and even less understanding of the debates Einstein had on these questions with prominent physicists of that time. Remember also that Einstein won the Nobel price for its contribution to quantum mechanics.

Have a read at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr–Einstein_debates

and then switch to the hard side for which you are well prepared.

Or read a good biography of Einstein: "Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein" by Abraham Pais.

Einstein critics

No one has had more critics than Einstein. People are still trying to prove him wrong on various points. The thing about critics is they criticize.
With a degree in math, you are well prepared to learn physics. Ordinary and partial differential equations, vector analysis, some sadistics(sic), form the basics, then tensors for general relativity.
Bits and pieces of other stuff are usually worked into the physics courses, same for tensors.

Einstein had a huge impact on quantum mechanics. Do yourself a favor and stop taking those videos seriously.

Jamin2112 said:
They said that if Einstein were alive today to see Quantum Mechanics, he might've changed his mind about many things.
Einstein's track record for reconsidering when presented with new data/results that challenged his thinking was very good. So it's quite likely that if he had lived to see some of these new developments, he would have had incorporated them into his thinking, and we'd all have been the richer for it.

If there is one development that I really wish Einstein had lived to see (and he only missed by a few years) it would be Bell's theorem.

he video was very critical of Einstein. It said that ... Einstein had desperately tried to unify the field of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics but had failed to do so.
And so far no one else has succeeded either, so I don't find that criticism especially compelling. It never ceases to amaze me that Einstein is so often criticized for not achieving more by people who have achieved far less.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a set of two theories in physics: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. These theories explain the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity and at high speeds, and have revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

2. How did Einstein come up with the theory of relativity?

Einstein developed the theory of relativity through a combination of thought experiments and mathematical equations. He was inspired by the work of other physicists, including Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell, and sought to reconcile their theories with his own ideas about the nature of space and time.

3. Is the theory of relativity proven?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. For example, the theory correctly predicted the bending of light by massive objects, and the observations of gravitational waves have provided further evidence for the theory.

4. What is the difference between the special and general theories of relativity?

The special theory of relativity focuses on objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, while the general theory of relativity applies to objects in accelerating or curved motion. The general theory also includes the concept of gravity, which is not addressed in the special theory.

5. How has the theory of relativity changed our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has shown that space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's perspective. It has also provided a framework for understanding the behavior of massive objects and the structure of the universe on both a large and small scale.