Units being used in the graphs for ψ and radius (in nm) and ψ^2 and ra

In summary: In others, it's just a mathematical description of the particle.One interpretation of quantum mechanics is that the wavefunction is a real thing. It describes the probability of finding a particle at different points in space.Another interpretation is that the wavefunction is just a mathematical description of the particle. It doesn't describe the particle itself.
tennispro1213
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1401983571.568740.jpg

We've just started learning about ψ in the quantum mechanics section of our atomic structure chapter. So while reading, I found these graphs where they used certain units along the y-axis for the graphs for ψ and radius (in nm), and ψ^2 and radius.

What units are these exactly?

My chemistry teacher wasn't able to give a reasonable explanation, and trying to learn about it online has left me overwhelmed with all sorts of complicated formulae.
So please help, and don't forget: this is the first time I'm reading about all this.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The units of ψ are probably $$nm^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$
If you square it and integrate it over the 3D volume, the result has to be dimensionless (1, if properly normalized). So the unit of ψ2 is just ##\frac{1}{nm^3}##.

My limited understanding of wavefunctions is that you cannot physically interpret a wavefunction in and of itself. The square of a wavefunction is interpreted in a probabilistic manner such that the square of the absolute value of psi can be interpreted as the probability of finding the particle in a region (x + dx). You can read a bit more about it here. You can see in your attachments that the psi2 gives some peaks which are areas where you are most likely to find the particle. Additionally you have many areas where the probability of finding the particle is non-zero, so you can find the particle in those regions some of the time but less often. This is the reason why you may have been hearing about "electron clouds" and such and the spooky nature of the quantum world. I'm sure others may have better answers for you.

Yanick said:
My limited understanding of wavefunctions is that you cannot physically interpret a wavefunction in and of itself.
You can.
Interpretations of quantum mechanics
In some of them, the wavefunction is a real thing.

The units being used in the graphs for ψ and radius (in nm) and ψ^2 and radius are likely representing the wave function (ψ) and its square (ψ^2) in units of nm^-1 (inverse nanometers) and nm^-2 (inverse nanometers squared), respectively. These units are commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent the spatial distribution of an electron's probability density in an atom. The radius, in this case, is also likely measured in nanometers (nm).

It is normal to feel overwhelmed when first learning about quantum mechanics, as it is a complex and abstract topic. I would suggest seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online lectures, to gain a better understanding of these concepts. It is also important to practice using the equations and units in various problems to become more comfortable with them. With time and practice, you will become more familiar with these units and their meanings in the context of quantum mechanics.

1. What do the units in the graphs represent?

The units in the graphs represent the values for ψ (wave function) and radius in nanometers (nm) and ψ^2 (probability density) and radius in nm.

2. Why are the units for ψ and ψ^2 different?

The units for ψ and ψ^2 are different because they represent different properties of the wave function. ψ represents the amplitude of the wave while ψ^2 represents the probability density of finding the particle in a certain position.

3. How are the units for radius determined in the graphs?

The units for radius in the graphs are determined by the scale used on the x-axis. The increments on the x-axis represent a certain distance in nm, which is then used to determine the radius at that point in the graph.

4. Can the units be changed in the graphs?

Yes, the units in the graphs can be changed by adjusting the scale on the x-axis. This can be done manually or using computer software.

5. Why are the units for radius usually in nm?

The units for radius are usually in nm because this unit is commonly used in the field of science, specifically in the study of atoms and molecules. It is a convenient unit for measuring very small distances, as atoms and molecules are measured in nanometers.