Compressing Air for Air Propelled Chair: What Alternatives?

• Thread starter Bunting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the speaker is designing an air propelled chair but is unsure if there are machines available for compressing air. They ask for suggestions if using air is not possible and mention the possibility of using water or their leg for better thrust.
Bunting
Im currently drawing up plans for an air propelled chair (which ill probly never make :P). I was intending to pureply use air from the atmosphere, use some sort of compressor, to compress it, then send it flying out the back in order to displace the chair. However. I don't know if there are such machines available. I guess you get compressed air in cylinders for a reason, but i don't know what that reason is!

If I cannot use air, what would you suggest ?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you intend to design is a jet engine. The reason it will be difficult to do with a compressor is simple: it'll be nigh impossible to build a compressor capable of the flow rate (volume per second) needed to achieve any substantial thrust.

Most people design jet engines to use a fuel -- the fuel burns, releasing large amounts of gas. The gas then exits a nozzle, generating thrust via Newton's third law.

- Warren

air propelled chair
You mean helicopter? Or perhaps hoovercraft?

For better thrust, you need something more massive. Water perhaps? But I think most efficient propellant would be your leg :wink:

1. How does compressing air work?

Compressing air involves reducing the volume of gas by forcing it into a smaller space, which increases the air pressure. This can be done using a compressor, which uses mechanical energy to squeeze air into a smaller volume.

2. Why is compressing air used in air propelled chairs?

Compressing air is used in air propelled chairs because it provides a clean and efficient source of energy. It can be easily stored in tanks and released on demand to power the chair, making it a practical alternative to other energy sources.

3. What are some common alternatives to compressing air for air propelled chairs?

Some common alternatives to compressing air for air propelled chairs include using battery-powered motors, electric motors, or even human power through pedaling or pushing.

4. What are the advantages of using compressed air for air propelled chairs?

One advantage of using compressed air for air propelled chairs is that it is a renewable and environmentally friendly source of energy. It also allows for quick refills and is relatively low cost compared to other alternatives.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using compressed air for air propelled chairs?

One limitation of using compressed air for air propelled chairs is that it can be noisy and may require additional soundproofing. Additionally, the pressure and volume of compressed air may decrease over time, requiring regular refills. There is also the potential for leaks or malfunctions, which can be dangerous if not properly maintained.