Analog joystick controlling stepper motor

In summary, the person is looking for a cheap and easy way to control a stepper motor and relay using an analog joystick. They are considering using a 68hc12 microcontroller with the A/D converter only, but are open to easier cheaper solutions. They would like to use C programming.
frogdogbb
Hi all,
I want to use an analog joystick to control a stepper motor and also power a relay which powers a second circuit. When the joystick is pressed side to side I want the stepper motor to turn at a rate dependant upon the position of the joystick. If the joystick is pressed forward or backward I want to close a relay. I want both to be on in the intermediate positions like forward and left ...etc. I am trying to figure out the cheapest and best solution for this. I thought about using a 68hc12 microcontroller with the A/D converter only because I have experience with these. But I am open to easier cheaper solutions. I would like to use C programming. Any ideas on how to get my idea off the ground would be much appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you have a good start.

I'd use one of the joystick buttons to activate the relay, simpler than a 2nd AD.
I don't remember off the top if the 68hc12 has built in AD, but if it doesn't I'd change to a Up that does.
Also you would need a Stepper Controller, the Up won't be able to drive that directly.
And you might need some sort of position feedback from the stepper, unless all you care about is rotation speed and direction.

the 68hc12 has an A/D in it. I really need the relay to operate off the joystick so I figured I could just use two channels of the A/D, one for each direction. I don't need a position sensor it is not neccesary.

You could probably still get away with one channel AD.
If the joystick centered(null) position is <stop> define the dead band to disengage the relay.
Joystick mechanical centering is kinda sloppy, so you need this dead band anyway to keep the thing from hunting.

frogdogbb said:
Hi all,
...I am trying to figure out the cheapest and best solution for this. I thought about using a 68hc12 microcontroller with the A/D converter only because I have experience with these. But I am open to easier cheaper solutions. I would like to use C programming. Any ideas on how to get my idea off the ground would be much appreciated. Thanks

try Z8 encore flash microcontroller, it is programmable in C
8 bit architecture, flashed base RAM..
for more info visit:

www.zilog.com[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does an analog joystick control a stepper motor?

An analog joystick is connected to a microcontroller, which reads the movements of the joystick as voltage values. These values are then converted into digital signals and sent to the stepper motor driver. The driver interprets the signals and controls the rotation of the motor accordingly.

2. What are the advantages of using an analog joystick to control a stepper motor?

An analog joystick allows for smooth and precise control of the stepper motor's movements. It also allows for a greater range of motion compared to traditional buttons or switches.

3. Can an analog joystick control multiple stepper motors at the same time?

Yes, depending on the capabilities of the microcontroller and stepper motor driver, an analog joystick can control multiple stepper motors simultaneously. This can be useful in applications where coordinated movements are required.

4. How do I calibrate an analog joystick for controlling a stepper motor?

Calibration involves mapping the joystick's movements to specific voltage values that correspond to desired movements of the stepper motor. This can be done through programming the microcontroller or using calibration software provided by the manufacturer.

5. Are there any limitations to using an analog joystick to control a stepper motor?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the stepper motor's movements may be affected by the quality of the analog joystick. Additionally, the range of motion of the stepper motor may be limited by the range of voltage values that the joystick can produce.