Division with variables (I think I'd call this double division)

I will keep that in mind next time.In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves simplifying a fraction over a binomial using LaTeX. The participants discuss the steps to simplify the fraction and share resources for learning LaTeX. The expert reminds others not to show complete solutions and to let the original poster attempt the problem themselves.
wScott
I don't even know where to start with this question, someone help please.

I don't know how to LaTeX this question so please bare with me:

( ( x / y ) - ( 4y / x ) ) / (x + 2y)

It's two fractions over a binomial.

Hope this isn't to unclear :(

Physics news on Phys.org
wScott said:
I don't even know where to start with this question, someone help please.

I don't know how to LaTeX this question so please bare with me:

( ( x / y ) - ( 4y / x ) ) / (x + 2y)

It's two fractions over a binomial.

Hope this isn't to unclear :(

Click this for the code to make it:
[tex] \frac{\frac{x}{y} - \frac{4y}{x}}{x + 2y} [/tex]

Now the question on everyone's mind is: what do you actually have to do with this? Simplify it?

Last edited:
Yah, sorry about that, and thanks for the LaTeX code. I'm supposed to simplify it but after setting it up like this [tex] \frac{x}{y} - \frac {4y}{x} \times \frac{x + 2y}{1} [/tex] (I think that's proper form anyways) I don't know what else to do.

dont know if this is right but it looks good to me

First find the comon denominator in the top fraction

{(x^2-4y^2)/(xy)}/(x+2y)
multiply by the inverse

(x^2-4y^2)/(x^2y+2xy^2)

then diference of squares?

(x+2y)(x-2y)/(xy)(x+2y)

then cancel

(x-2y)/xy

Anyone know a good LaTeX tutorial? I would likke to post more and using LaTeX is just so much prettier :)

Last edited:
Gablar16 said:
dont know if this is right but it looks good to me

First find the comon denominator in the top fraction

{(x^2-4y^2)/(xy)}/(x+2y)
multiply by the inverse

(x^2-4y^2)/(x^2y+2xy^2)

then diference of squares?

(x+2y)(x-2y)/(xy)(x+2y)

then cancel

(x-2y)/xy

Anyone know a good LaTeX tutorial? I would likke to post more and using LaTeX is just so much prettier :)
Please, don't show COMPLETE solution. You can guide him, and should let the OP do it him/herself. Showing solutions can be good in some cases, like when the OP has made a great deal of effort trying to solve the problem, but still cannot get the correct answer. But showing solution without any explanation, or without the OP's having shown his/her work, it can be very bad.
You can take some time to readhttps://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28.
------------------------
There's a sticky Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting in the board Math & Science Tutorials (the first board from the top). There are 3 pretty good .PDF files there.

VietDao29 said:
Please, don't show COMPLETE solution. You can guide him, and should let the OP do it him/herself. Showing solutions can be good in some cases, like when the OP has made a great deal of effort trying to solve the problem, but still cannot get the correct answer. But showing solution without any explanation, or without the OP's having shown his/her work, it can be very bad.
You can take some time to readhttps://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28.
------------------------
There's a sticky Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting in the board Math & Science Tutorials (the first board from the top). There are 3 pretty good .PDF files there.

You are probably right , sorry about that.

1. How do you solve a division problem with variables?

To solve a division problem with variables, you need to rearrange the equation so that the variable is isolated on one side of the equal sign. Then, you can divide both sides by the coefficient of the variable to solve for its value.

2. Can you divide variables with different exponents?

Yes, you can divide variables with different exponents. When dividing variables with exponents, you simply subtract the exponents from each other and keep the base the same. For example, x^4 / x^2 = x^(4-2) = x^2.

3. What do you do when there is a variable in both the numerator and denominator?

In this case, you can simplify the equation by canceling out the common variable terms. This will leave you with an equation that only contains numerical coefficients. You can then solve the equation as you would a regular division problem.

4. Can you divide a variable by zero?

No, it is not possible to divide a variable by zero. This is because division by zero is undefined and leads to an infinite result. In mathematical notation, this would be represented as x/0 = undefined.

5. How do you handle negative variables when dividing?

When dividing negative variables, it is important to remember the rules of multiplying and dividing with negative numbers. A negative variable divided by a positive variable will result in a negative answer, while a negative variable divided by a negative variable will result in a positive answer.