Head on Collision: Physics of X & Y Spheres

In summary, there is a conversation about a problem with solving a collision between two spheres X and Y, with initial velocities of +5ms^-1 and -5ms^-1 respectively. The answer given was that X comes to a rest while Y moves off in the reverse direction at 10ms^-1. However, this answer is incorrect as conservation of momentum requires that the centre of mass does not change and both spheres should recoil at 5ms^-1 in opposite directions. The formula for relative speed of separation can be used for perfectly elastic collisions regardless of the masses involved. The conversation also touches on the concept of centre of gravity and its relation to inertial and gravitational mass.
al_201314
Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with solving this one.

Two spheres X and Y (no mentioning about them being identical in mass but drawn in equal sizes) are about to collide head on. Their initial velocities are +5ms^-1 and -5ms^-1 initially, moving towards each other with X being towards east. Assuming completely elastic and head-on collision, what happens to the spheres after collision?

The answer I was given was that X comes to a rest while Y moves off in the reverse direction, that is, east with 10ms^-1.

Why is this so? I don't really understand why is it that Y would move off and not the other way around where X moves off towards west with 10ms^-1? Why is all momentum transferred to Y and not X? I apologise that I don't have any workings with me when I should have but I'm confused with the principles here. Also, does the relative speed of approach only applicable to elestic collisions?

Thanks again to all for the constant help.

Physics news on Phys.org
al_201314 said:
Two spheres X and Y (no mentioning about them being identical in mass but drawn in equal sizes) are about to collide head on. Their initial velocities are +5ms^-1 and -5ms^-1 initially, moving towards each other with X being towards east. Assuming completely elastic and head-on collision, what happens to the spheres after collision?

The answer I was given was that X comes to a rest while Y moves off in the reverse direction, that is, east with 10ms^-1.
The answer you were given is obviously wrong, if the masses are the same. Conservation of momentum requires that the centre of mass does not change. The centre of mass is at rest in the lab frame. They both recoil at 5 m/sec in opposite directions.

AM

Yes, as AM said the answer is definitely wrong .
Imagine this, there is nothing special given about mass X or Y . That is the names can be used interchangeably(except for the direction of velocity), this implies that whatever causes an effect on both objects simultaneously (like a collission) should show symmetrical effects. So the answer is clearly wrong ( As you have observed, why isn't it the other way round ?).
The only way to distinguish further between X and Y is to give their masses and they are not the same too.

Thanks guys. For the formula on the relative speed of separation, can it be only used on perfectly elastic collisions and on objects of equal masses?

Anyway the interesting part is that the other option (its a MCQ) is both speheres come to rest after collision.

Do you have any websites that explains that COM does require the CG of the system to be the same? Couldn't really find some good ones.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
al_201314 said:
Thanks guys. For the formula on the relative speed of separation, can it be only used on perfectly elastic collisions and on objects of equal masses?
The formula can be used only on perfectly elastic collisions but the masses need not be the same.

Do you have any websites that explains that COM does require the CG of the system to be the same? Couldn't really find some good ones.
What is CG? If it is the centre of gravity, then you are asking whether the intertial mass is identical to gravitational mass. Try googling "Eotvos experiment".

AM

The masses will definitely not come to rest, if the collission is elastic (why ?).
If you could give us all the options in the MCQ , we could direct you to the right answer, perhaps it involves eliminating all other options, since the masses are not given .

1. What is a head on collision?

A head on collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide directly into each other, typically traveling in opposite directions. This type of collision is common in scenarios such as car accidents or sports collisions.

2. What are X and Y spheres?

X and Y spheres are hypothetical spherical objects used in physics to represent two colliding objects. They are often used in simplified models to study the effects of collisions on different objects.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a head on collision?

The outcome of a head on collision is affected by several factors, including the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects involved. The elasticity and shape of the objects can also play a role in the outcome.

4. How is the momentum conserved in a head on collision?

In a head on collision, the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum, and it holds true for all types of collisions.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the two objects is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, resulting in a loss of energy.