Treatment for Popped Blood Vessel in Mouth

In summary, the person experienced red spots on their mouth after using a vacuum cup. These spots are called petechiae and are similar to bruises. It may take up to two weeks for them to go away, depending on the severity.
Jim1234
This may sound stupid but this is what happened. I had a cup and i put it to my mouth, i then sucked the air out so it stuck to my mouth. I guess i did it a little to much cause now my mouth is all red and it has little red dots everywhere where the cup was. It has been a day and it hasnt gone away, what do i do?

Biology news on Phys.org
Jim1234 said:
This may sound stupid but this is what happened. I had a cup and i put it to my mouth, i then sucked the air out so it stuck to my mouth. I guess i did it a little to much cause now my mouth is all red and it has little red dots everywhere where the cup was. It has been a day and it hasnt gone away, what do i do?
Those little red spots are called http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4853" [Broken].
Just like a bruise, it will take a while to go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the meantime you can say your girlfriend gave that to you.

larkspur the info in your link is incomplete. it doesn't explicitly mention "vacuum cup related injuries." XD

i used to do this when i was young lol.

thank you for all the help. Do you know how long it will take to go away?

Jim1234 said:
thank you for all the help. Do you know how long it will take to go away?
It depends on the severity of the bleed and your body's ability to heal a bruise. I have had mild petechial hemorrhages with a stomach virus that cleared within two days. If your lips are very red and there is very little space between the petechiae then it could take up to two weeks to resolve.

1. What causes a popped blood vessel in the mouth?

A blood vessel in the mouth can pop due to various reasons such as injury, trauma, or even excessive pressure from coughing or sneezing. Certain medical conditions, such as hypertension or blood disorders, can also increase the risk of a popped blood vessel in the mouth.

2. What are the symptoms of a popped blood vessel in the mouth?

The most common symptom of a popped blood vessel in the mouth is the appearance of a small, red or purple bruise-like mark on the inside of the cheek, lips, or tongue. Some people may also experience pain or tenderness in the affected area.

3. Is a popped blood vessel in the mouth a serious condition?

In most cases, a popped blood vessel in the mouth is not a serious condition and will heal on its own within a few days. However, if the bleeding does not stop or if there is severe pain or swelling, it is important to consult a doctor.

4. What is the best treatment for a popped blood vessel in the mouth?

The best treatment for a popped blood vessel in the mouth is to simply let it heal on its own. However, you can help alleviate any discomfort by rinsing your mouth with a saltwater solution or using over-the-counter pain relievers. Avoiding hot and spicy foods can also help prevent further irritation to the affected area.

5. Can a popped blood vessel in the mouth be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent a popped blood vessel in the mouth, there are some steps you can take to reduce the risk. These include avoiding excessive pressure on the mouth, managing any underlying medical conditions, and maintaining good oral hygiene to prevent gum disease and infections.