Hydrogen Atom :Effective Potential

In summary, at orbital angular momentum l>0 and electron radius r < r(min), the effective potential becomes positive, indicating a negative charge is repelled by a positive one. However, this is not physically possible. The potential does not immediately become positive after the minimum, and the sign of the potential does not determine the force. The centrifugal barrier also plays a role in the repulsion, as the velocity needs to increase to conserve angular momentum, causing the centrifugal force to increase.
alfredbester
Basic SE, Hydrogen atom I'm given the basicc equation for the effective potential I've worked out the bohr radius (a)

Q. Describe what happens to the effective potential for orbital angular momentum l>0 and electron radius r < r(min)

r(min) = l(l+1)a

I'm thinking that the effective potential will become positive which would indicate that the electron will repel but am having a hard time seeing how positives and negatives can repel.

My answer (2nd year exam). Would probably be.

The effective potential will become positive which indicates a negative charge is repelled by a postive one. This is not a physically possible solution,.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alfred,

I think you would find it helpful to make a little sketch of the effective potential. One thing you will see is that the effective potential does not immediately become positive after the minimum is passed. In fact, you know that the sign of the potential doesn't determine whether the force is attractive or repulsive. Remember that you can always add a constant to the potential without changing the physics. Something does change, however, when you cross the minimum of the potential. Hint: how does the potential relate to the force?

Also, the effective potential includes the centrifugal barrier (the angular momentum piece) which can lead to an effective repulsion. What is the physical origin of this seeming repulsion?

Last edited:
Thanks, the distance derivative of the potential is the Force (F = - dU/dr) so the force is attractive since r<rmin has negative gradient.

The second part I think, as r is decreasing the velocity needs to increase to conserve angular momentum so the centrifrugal (outward) force (proportional to v-squared) increases.

1. What is the effective potential of a hydrogen atom?

The effective potential of a hydrogen atom is the sum of the attractive Coulomb potential between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron, and the centrifugal potential due to the electron's motion around the nucleus.

2. How is the effective potential of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The effective potential of a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between the nucleus and the electron.

3. What is the significance of the effective potential in understanding the behavior of a hydrogen atom?

The effective potential is crucial in understanding the stability and energy levels of a hydrogen atom. It also helps in predicting the behavior of an electron as it moves around the nucleus.

4. How does the effective potential change as the distance between the nucleus and the electron changes?

The effective potential decreases as the distance between the nucleus and the electron increases. This is because the attractive force between the nucleus and the electron decreases as they move farther apart.

5. Can the effective potential of a hydrogen atom be used to explain other atoms?

Yes, the effective potential concept can be extended to explain the behavior of other atoms. However, the effective potential of more complex atoms is more difficult to calculate due to the presence of multiple electrons and their interactions with each other.