Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent

In summary, the problem involves a metal being deformed in a tension test and the goal is to determine the strength coefficient and strain-hardening exponent. The starting specimen has a gage length of 2.0 in and an area of .50 sq. in. At one point in the test, the gage length is 2.5 in and the corresponding engineering stress is 24000 psi, and at another point before necking, the gage length is 3.2 in and the engineering stress is 28000 psi. To find the strain-hardening exponent, the true stress-strain curve is plotted using a log scale and the slope is determined. For the strength coefficient, the true stress at
eku_girl83
Here's the problem:
A metal is deformed in a tension test into its plastic region. The starting specimen had a gage length = 2.0 in and an area .50 sq. in. At one point in the tensile test, the gage length = 2.5 in and the corresponding engineering stress = 24000 psi; at another point in the test prior to necking, the gage length = 3.2 in and the corresponding engineering stress = 28000 psi. Determine the strength coefficient and strain-hardening exponent.

To summarize,
L0 = 2.0 in
A0 = .50 sq. in.
L1 = 2.5 in engineering stress = 24000 psi
L2 = 3.2 in engineering stress = 28000 psi
Here's my solution:

*At the first point given, we can find engineering strain by e = (L1-L0)/L0 = (2.5 - 2.0)/2.0 = .25
-We can then use the engineering stress and the engineering strain to find the true stress by the relationship:
true stress = engineering stress (1+engineering strain) = 24000(1+.25) = 30000 psi
-The true strain is given by ln (L1/L0) = ln (2.5/2.0) = .22

* For the second point, engineering strain = (L2-L0)/L0 = (3.2-2.0)/2.0
= .6
- Hence, true stress = engineering stress (1+engineering strain) =
28000(1+.6) = 44800 psi
- True strain is ln (L2/L0) = ln (3.2/2.0) = ln 1.6 = .47

*So we now have two points on our true stress-strain curve: (.22, 30000) and (.47, 44800).
The book plots these points using a log scale and then finds the slope to determine the strain hardening exponent. So n = (log 44800 - log 30000)/(log .47 - log .22) = .52
Does this seem right...I know n for most metals is between 0 and .5, so is .52 a reasonable result?

*The strength coefficient, K, equals the value of true stress at a true strain value equal to 1.
Using the point slope equation with the x-coordinate (true strain) equal to 1, I get:
y - y1 = m(x-x1)
log y - log 30000 = .52 (log x - log .22)
log y - log 30000 = .52 (1 - log .22)
log y - log 30000 = .8619402
y = 218304 psi
K = 218304 psi

Does this seem correct? It seems a little large!

Thanks for reading! Any help much appreciated!

I apologize for

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculations for n look fine.. I'd say the question is the problem ;)

In fact I'm surprised the answers are even close to reasonable, I'd be worried any time you'd have to do a straight line fit between just two points.

Most the time I have to calculate a slope from data I use 3 to 5 points to smooth out results due to inevitable noise/errors

shaterzadeh said:
Hi dear
I think that you mistake in calculation k,beacuse stead(log X)you should write (log 1)that means(0),but you write log X=1. !
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1460020&postcount=2

yeah I think this is the error here.. with log 1 you get something like 123 psi

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Strength Coefficient?

The Strength Coefficient is a material property that describes the maximum stress a material can withstand before it begins to deform plastically. It is often denoted by the symbol K or σ0, and is commonly used in the calculation of the yield strength of a material.

2. What is the Strain-Hardening Exponent?

The Strain-Hardening Exponent, also known as the strain-hardening modulus or work-hardening exponent, is a measure of how quickly a material hardens when it is deformed. This property, denoted by the symbol n, is used to describe the relationship between stress and strain in the plastic region of a material's stress-strain curve.

3. How are the Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent related?

The Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent are related through the equation σ = Kεn, where σ is the stress, K is the Strength Coefficient, ε is the strain, and n is the Strain-Hardening Exponent. This equation is used to calculate the stress at any given strain in the plastic region of a material's stress-strain curve.

4. What factors influence the Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent?

The Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent are influenced by various factors, including the type of material, the microstructure of the material, the manufacturing process, and the temperature. For example, different alloys of the same metal may have different Strength Coefficients and Strain-Hardening Exponents due to variations in their microstructure.

5. Why are the Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent important in materials science?

The Strength Coefficient and Strain-Hardening Exponent are important in materials science because they provide valuable information about a material's mechanical properties. These properties are crucial in determining the material's suitability for different applications and can also help in understanding the material's behavior under different loading conditions. Additionally, these values can be used to design and optimize materials for specific purposes.