Free Electrons in Conductors: Random Motion and Energy Loss

In summary: Please read it again.In summary, the movement of electrons in conductors is influenced by external fields, causing them to orient in one particular direction. The collisions between these electrons are elastic, meaning all kinetic energy is transferred to neighboring electrons. This process is 100% effective and is not affected by day-to-day mechanical processes. The energy of delocalized electrons is based on temperature, and their average speed can be calculated using the classical picture of charge transport. In the absence of external fields, free electrons do not lose energy in their random motion.
Karthikeyan
Hi,
I believe that the free electrons in a piece of a conductor move randomnly until they are oriented in one particular direction by some external field. Does free electrons lose energy in this random motion??:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
All collisions between the delocalised electrons are completely elastic, meaning all kinetic energy they have is transferred to neighbouring electrons when they move close (due to magnetic repulsion), this process is 100% effective unlike day to day mechanical processes.

EDIT: I'm new here so my answer may not be right though

Let me say, I've a free electron 'X' at energy level E1 wandering inside the conductor. When u say the energy is transferred, do u mean the electron 'X' will come down to a lower energy than E1??

Conduction of electrons

Hi all,
Can anyone please give a brief explanation on movement of electrons in conductors?? How the force is transmitted from the voltage source..interms of what?? Photons?

Electrons 'flow'/'drift' with the local potential difference or electric field. It could be static (DC) or dynamic (AC) and it could be induced by a time varying magnetic field (induction).

I mean how does the energy get transmitted from electric field?? Free electrons are already present in metals wandering here and there, right?? By applying some field the direction of motion is oriented. I am asking how this force orients the electrons?? Also, does free electrons lose any energy in their random motion in the absence of any external field??

A lower kinetic energy yeah, but try not to confuse it with electical charge (1.6*10^-19 C), electrons constantly move about the conductor freely, this is reffered to as "Delocalised" electrons, their kinetic energy or delocalisation is usually based off the temperature of the substance.

Now I'm pretty poo on the physics front but there is a way of finding out the energy, let somone better correct me but i believe the kinetic energy of the electron (average) is boltzman constant * temperature, i stress AVERAGE because some electrons can have a lot of energy and some can't since it's pretty dynamic and repulsions between electrons happen pretty often.

For figureing out the "AVERAGE" speed of the electron i believe you can just use E = KT (average energy) and E=1/2*M*V^2 (reaarange this). But beats me :(

Last edited:
Maybe you should start with the simplest explanation of charge transport using the classical picture, which, from the tone of your question, is what you are asking for.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html

Zz.

Edit: You have posted an almost-identical thread in two different forums. Please pay attention to the PF Guidelines that you have explicitly agreed to. Multiple posting is strictly not allowed. The two threads have been merged, and if the outcome makes no sense, it isn't my fault.

Last edited:
Karthikeyan said:
Also, does free electrons lose any energy in their random motion in the absence of any external field??
This question was answered in post #2.

1. What are free electrons in conductors?

Free electrons in conductors refer to the negatively charged particles that are able to move freely within a material. In conductors, such as metals, the outermost electrons of atoms are not tightly bound to the nucleus and can therefore move easily throughout the material.

2. How do free electrons move in conductors?

Free electrons in conductors move randomly due to thermal energy and collisions with other particles. They do not follow a specific path or direction, but rather move in a disorganized manner throughout the material.

3. What is the impact of free electrons on conductivity?

The presence of free electrons in conductors allows for the material to conduct electricity. When an electric field is applied, the free electrons will move in the direction of the field, creating an electric current.

4. How does the random motion of free electrons lead to energy loss?

As free electrons move randomly within a conductor, they collide with other particles and impurities within the material. These collisions result in the transfer of energy and can cause the free electrons to lose some of their energy, leading to energy loss in the form of heat.

5. Can energy loss due to free electrons be minimized?

While some energy loss is inevitable, it can be minimized through the use of materials with fewer impurities and by decreasing the temperature of the conductor. Additionally, using materials with a higher number of free electrons, such as silver or copper, can also help to reduce energy loss.