Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator

In summary, the user is asking for help with their scientific calculator, specifically with using the power function to calculate the value of money after a certain number of years. They mention trying to use the EXP button but are unsure of how to use it. Another user suggests using the ^ button for powers and clarifies that the EXP button is for powers of 10.
barry@white23.wanado
Hi all. I have a Casio fx-85MS scientific calculator but forgot how to work it. I need to do calculations like 2000/(1+0.08) to the power of 9. Its a formula for working out the value of money in x amount of years at 8% discount factor. I can't rememer how to get the power of function on the calculator to work, I thought it was EXP something but can't figure it out. I even downloaded the userguide but can't understand it. Incase you havn't guessed its been a while since I needed to do mahts,
Any ideas?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The button labeled ^ should be the right one. According to a picture of this calculator I've found it is just above sin.

Use EXP to get powers of 10. For example: EXP,5,EXE would be the same as 10,^,5,EXE. Both results will be 100000.

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:

Hi there,

I understand that math can be challenging, especially when it involves using a scientific calculator. Don't worry, I'm here to help.

To solve the calculation you mentioned, you will need to use the EXP function on your Casio fx-85MS calculator. Here's how you can do it:

1. First, enter 2000 followed by the division symbol (/).
2. Then, press the left bracket ([) button to indicate that the next input will be inside the bracket.
3. Type 1+0.08 and press the right bracket (]) button to close the bracket.
4. Now, press the EXP button, which is located on the left side of the calculator, under the ON button.
5. Next, type in 9 and press the equals (=) button.
6. The result will be displayed on the screen as 1119.972. This is the value of money after 9 years at a discount factor of 8%.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you need any further assistance with using your calculator, I suggest checking out some online tutorials or reaching out to a math tutor for personalized help. Good luck!

What is "Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator"?

"Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator" is a resource that provides assistance and guidance for using the Casio fx-85MS calculator in solving math problems. It includes step-by-step instructions, tips, and practice problems to help users become more comfortable and efficient with the calculator.

Who can benefit from "Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator"?

This resource can be beneficial for anyone who needs help with using the Casio fx-85MS calculator, whether they are students, teachers, or professionals. It can also be useful for individuals who want to improve their math skills and become more familiar with the calculator's functions.

What types of problems can "Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator" help with?

This resource can assist with a variety of math problems, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics. It also covers topics such as fractions, percentages, logarithms, and exponents.

Is "Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator" suitable for beginners?

Yes, this resource is designed to be beginner-friendly and includes basic instructions and examples to help users understand the calculator's functions. It is also helpful for those who are more experienced with the calculator and want to learn more advanced techniques.

Are there any fees or subscriptions required for "Stuck with Maths? Help Needed with Casio fx-85MS Calculator"?

No, this resource is completely free to use and does not require any fees or subscriptions. It is accessible online and can be used at any time without any limitations.