Coupled harmonic oscillators QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of reducing a two-body system to an equivalent one-body system in order to find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian. The suggested method involves separating the center of mass and relative motion, and using the virtual particle and canonical momentum to express the particle position and momentum. The next step would be to plug these expressions back into the Hamiltonian and perform algebraic manipulations to achieve the desired separation.
valtorEN

Homework Statement

Consider two coupled oscillators. The Hamiltonian is given as
H=p1^2/2m + p2^2/2m +1/2m*omega^2*[x1^2+x2^2+2*lambda*(x1-x2)^2]
Separate the center of mass and relative motion and find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

relative coordinate :: x=x1-x2
CM position :: X

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume that i have to reduce the 2 body to equivalent one body, using the fact that the potential only depends of the separation of the 2 particles x1-x2, that is, if V(x1,x2)=V(x1-x2)
now introduce 2 new variables,
x=x1-x2,
X=m1x1+m2x2/(m1+m2)
now introduce REDUCED MASS 1/mu:=1/m1+1/m2
not sure how to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess i put X=x1-x2 into eq above, and t hen try to get into parts for X and reduced mass 1/mu=1/m1+1/m2, so the last term i get is 1/2*m*omega^2[x1^2+x2^2+2*lambda*X^2]
what should i do next?

I'm surprised no one came to help, since the problem's relatively easy.

Just like for the H-atom the separation of the radial and CM motion is done by expressing the particle position and canonical momentum wrt the coordinates and momenta of the CM and the virtual particle.

That is you have to find

p_{1}=p_{1}(X,P,x,p)
p_{2}=p_{2}(X,P,x,p)
x_{1}=x_{1}(X,P,x,p)
x_{2}=x_{2}(X,P,x,p)

and then plug back into the Hamiltonian. You then have to do simple algebraic manipulations which hopefully will lead to the desired separation.

Daniel.

1. What is the concept of coupled harmonic oscillators in quantum mechanics?

Coupled harmonic oscillators in quantum mechanics refer to a system where two or more particles are connected or interact with each other through a shared potential energy. This interaction results in the particles exhibiting correlated motion, where their oscillations are dependent on each other.

2. How does the coupling between harmonic oscillators affect their energy levels?

The coupling between harmonic oscillators in quantum mechanics leads to a splitting of the energy levels. This means that the energy levels of the system are no longer equally spaced, and the particles have different energy levels depending on their shared potential energy.

3. What is the role of the coupling constant in coupled harmonic oscillators?

The coupling constant in coupled harmonic oscillators is a measure of the strength of interaction between the particles. It determines the degree of correlation between their oscillations and plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and behavior of the system.

4. How does the behavior of coupled harmonic oscillators differ from that of uncoupled ones?

The behavior of coupled harmonic oscillators differs from that of uncoupled ones in that the oscillations of the particles are no longer independent. Instead, they are correlated and affect each other's motion. The energy levels are also split, and the overall behavior of the system is more complex.

5. Can coupled harmonic oscillators be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, coupled harmonic oscillators have various applications in fields such as chemistry, solid-state physics, and molecular biology. For example, they can be used to model molecular vibrations in a molecule or describe the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of coupled quantum systems.