Surface of enclosed volume

In summary, the question asks for the enclosed volume and total surface area of a closed surface defined by the surfaces r=2 and 4, \theta=30 degrees and 50 degrees, \phi=20 degrees and 60 degrees. The enclosed volume can be found using the given equations, while the total surface area will require setting up multiple integrals for each surface element and adding them together.
brad sue

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have this problem:
the surfaces r=2 and 4, \(\displaystyle \theta=\)30 degrees and 50 degrees, \(\displaystyle \phi=\)20 degrees and 60 degrees identify a closed surface.
1- find the enclosed volume.
2- Find the total area of the enclosed surface. ( I think it is a typo from the teacher. It is volume not surface)

The first question is straigth forward
For the secon question I have some issues.

Homework Equations

Do I need to take take each element of surface (in spherical coordinates)
dS1=[tex]r^2[/tex] sin(theta) [tex]d\theta[/tex] [tex]d\phi[/tex]

dS2=[tex]r[/tex]*[tex]dr[/tex][tex]d\phi[/tex]
dS3=[tex]\sin\theta[/tex]*[tex]r[/tex][tex]dr[/tex][tex]d\phi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

integrate the according the limits and the total are should be
S= S1+S2+S3
Is my reasonnig correct?
Thank you
B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ella

Hello Bella,

Yes, your reasoning is correct for finding the enclosed volume. To find the total surface area, you will need to integrate over each element of the surface, which can be calculated using the equations you provided. However, you will also need to take into account the different limits for each surface element. For example, for the surface element dS1, the limits for \theta and \phi will be 30 degrees to 50 degrees and 20 degrees to 60 degrees, respectively. You will need to set up multiple integrals for each surface element and then add them together to get the total surface area. I hope this helps! Good luck with your calculations.

What is the surface area of an enclosed volume?

The surface area of an enclosed volume refers to the total area of all the surfaces that make up the volume. It is typically measured in square units, such as square inches or square meters.

How is the surface area of an enclosed volume calculated?

The formula for calculating the surface area of an enclosed volume depends on the shape of the volume. For example, the surface area of a cube can be calculated by multiplying the length of one side by six. The surface area of a cylinder can be calculated by adding the area of the two circular bases to the lateral surface area, which is the product of the circumference of the base and the height of the cylinder.

Why is the surface area of an enclosed volume important?

The surface area of an enclosed volume is important because it provides important information about the volume's physical properties. It can also be used to calculate other measurements, such as the amount of paint needed to cover the surface or the amount of material needed to construct the volume.

How does the surface area of an enclosed volume relate to its volume?

The surface area and volume of an enclosed volume are closely related. In general, as the volume of a shape increases, so does its surface area. However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as a sphere, which has a constant surface area regardless of its volume.

Can the surface area of an enclosed volume be negative?

No, the surface area of an enclosed volume cannot be negative. It is a physical measurement that represents the amount of space taken up by the surfaces of the volume, so it cannot have a negative value.