Expectation of random variable

In summary: However, if you are given that E[X]=aE[Y], then you are not given enough information to calculate E[XY]. You need to state what E[X|Y] is, and then use that information to calculate E[XY].
bioman
I have two random variables X and Y, and I need to calculate E(XY). The expectation of X, E(X) = aZ, and the expectation of Y, E(Y) = bZ, where a and b are known constants and Z is a random variable.

So the question is how would I calculate E(XY)?
I was thinking that I could do the following:
E(XY) = E(aZ,bZ)
=> E(XY) = ab*E(ZZ)
=> E(XY) = ab*E(Z^2)

Is it correct to do this?? or how would I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
E(X) can't be equal to aZ: E(X) is a number, and aZ is a random variable. Are you sure you stated the problem right?

Anyways, there generally aren't short-cuts to computing the expectation of a product of random variables.

Yes, you're right I've stated the problem wrong! I can restate in another, much easier way.

So basically I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a is less than 1.

So any ideas on how to go about calculating E(XY)??
Any help or directions would be great!

Last edited:
bioman said:
So basically I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a is less than 1.

So any ideas on how to go about calculating E(XY)??
Can't be done with the information given.

What more information would I need to calculate this?
For example, I know what the E(Y) and Var(Y) is going to be, I also know what the constant a is going to be.
So I know what the mean and variance of X and Y are going to be and the constant a, so what more information do I need to get E(XY)?

Overall I'm trying to calculate the Cov(XY) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y), and seeming as X and Y are dependent, shouldn't I be able to work out the covariance between them??
I think I have all the information necessary to get this expression, I'm probably just not supplying it to you here?

Do you have their distribution? You can compute E(XY) directly, rather than looking for a shortcut involving other things you can compute.

No unfortunately I'm unable to get the distribution of XY (if that's what you were talking about).
I just have the mean and variance of X and Y to play with and the constant a.

So when you say
You can compute E(XY) directly
Is there a general formulae for calculating E(XY) for dependent variables??
I could only find a formulae for independent variables.

[tex]E[XY] = \sum_{a, b} a b \mathop{\mathrm{P}}(X = a \mathrm{\ and\ } Y = b)[/tex]
(Or an integral, if appropriate)

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that, I'll have a look into it.

Also I was thinking maybe I could do it the following way, but I'm not sure my
"random variable algebra" is correct:

So again suppose I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a <= 1.
We have E(X|Y) = aY
=> E(YX|Y) = aYY = aY^2
=> E(XY) = E(E(YX|Y)) = E(aY^2)
=> E(XY) = aE(Y^2)

Would this be correct??

bioman said:
Ok thanks for that, I'll have a look into it.

Also I was thinking maybe I could do it the following way, but I'm not sure my
"random variable algebra" is correct:

So again suppose I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a <= 1.
We have E(X|Y) = aY
=> E(YX|Y) = aYY = aY^2
=> E(XY) = E(E(YX|Y)) = E(aY^2)
=> E(XY) = aE(Y^2)

Would this be correct??
You say you are given that [tex]E[X]=aE[Y][/tex]. This does not imply that [tex]E[X|Y]=aY[/tex]. As an example, suppose [tex]X\sim N(a,1)[/tex], [tex]Y\sim N(1,1)[/tex], and they are independent. Then [tex]E[X]=a=a\cdot 1=aE[Y][/tex], but [tex]E[X|Y]=E[X]=a[/tex]. Clearly, [tex]a\ne aY[/tex].

If you are given that [tex]E[X|Y]=aY[/tex], then your calculations are correct.

1. What is the definition of expectation of a random variable?

The expectation of a random variable is the weighted average of all possible values that the variable can take, with the weights being the probabilities of those values occurring. It is a measure of the central tendency or average value of a random variable.

2. How is the expectation of a random variable calculated?

The expectation of a random variable can be calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its corresponding probability, and then summing up all these products. This can be represented mathematically as E[X] = ∑xP(x), where X is the random variable and P(x) is the probability function.

3. What is the significance of the expectation of a random variable?

The expectation of a random variable is an important concept in probability and statistics as it allows us to understand the average behavior of a random phenomenon. It also plays a crucial role in decision-making and risk assessment, as it represents the most likely outcome of a random event.

4. Can the expectation of a random variable be negative?

Yes, the expectation of a random variable can be negative. This can happen when the possible values of the variable include negative numbers and their corresponding probabilities are high enough to outweigh the positive values. However, it is important to note that the expectation is just a mathematical concept and may not always have a direct real-world interpretation.

5. How does the expectation of a random variable change with different probability distributions?

The expectation of a random variable can vary depending on the probability distribution it follows. For example, a variable following a uniform distribution will have a different expectation compared to a variable following a normal distribution. The shape and spread of the distribution can greatly impact the expectation, and it is important to take into account the appropriate distribution when calculating the expectation of a random variable.