Integration Problem: Solving \int^{0}_{-\pi}\sqrt{1-cos^{2} x} for Homework

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of |sin(x)| from -pi to 0, which can be simplified to -sin(x). However, Mathematica gives a more complicated result of -cot(x)((sin(x))^2)^(1/2). The final answer should be 2, not -2.
ngkamsengpeter

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{0}_{-\pi}\sqrt{1-cos^{2} x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I substitute into (sin x)^2 and get an answer of -2 but the answer should be 2 . how to i do this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get an answer of -2? Perhaps you should show your work.

cristo said:
How do you get an answer of -2? Perhaps you should show your work.
just substitute (sin x)^2 and become sqr((sin x)^2) and then become sin x and substitute the limit from -pi to 0 get -2

ngkamsengpeter said:
just substitute (sin x)^2 and become sqr((sin x)^2) and then become sin x and substitute the limit from -pi to 0 get -2

You need to integrate sin(x) before you plug in the limits.

cristo said:
You need to integrate sin(x) before you plug in the limits.

I have integrate it into -cos x and plugin the limit , i got -2 .But the answer is 2 . How ?

So you have [tex]\left[-\cos(x)\right]^0_{-\pi}=cos(0)-cos(-\pi)[/tex]. Can you evaluate that?

maybe you should be interpreting [itex]\sqrt{\sin^2(x)}[/itex] as [itex]|\sin(x)|[/itex]

cristo said:
So you have [tex]\left[-\cos(x)\right]^0_{-\pi}=cos(0)-cos(-\pi)[/tex]. Can you evaluate that?[/QUOTE

[tex]\left[-\cos(x)\right]^0_{-\pi}=-cos(0)+cos(-\pi)[/tex]
shouldn't is be this way cristo.

Last edited:
jpr0 said:
maybe you should be interpreting [itex]\sqrt{\sin^2(x)}[/itex] as [itex]|\sin(x)|[/itex]
Then , how to integrate [itex]|\sin(x)|[/itex]

For x between [itex]-\pi[/itex] and 0, sin(x)< 0. In that range, |sin(x)| is just -sin(x). Integrating that will obviously give you the negative of your previous answer.

but ((sin x)^2 )^0.5 gives us two answers

sinx and -sinx

?

transgalactic said:
but ((sin x)^2 )^0.5 gives us two answers

sinx and -sinx

?

yeah, generally it does, but look here we are only integrating in [-pi.0], and obviously sinx, where x is from [-pi,0] is always negative, so

I sin(x) I = -sinx, whenever x is from the interval [-pi. 0]
now as halls said, integrating this you will get the desired answer.

sutupidmath said:
yeah, generally it does, but look here we are only integrating in [-pi.0], and obviously sinx, where x is from [-pi,0] is always negative, so

I sin(x) I = -sinx, whenever x is from the interval [-pi. 0]
now as halls said, integrating this you will get the desired answer.

But i use mathematica to integrate , it shows -Cot x ((Sin x)^2)^(1/2)
How to integrate to get this form ?

Why would you want to? This is a definite integral. The result is a number. The integrand reduces to |sin(x)| which, for [itex]-\pi\le x\le 0[/itex] is -sin(x). That's easy to integrate.

I've never used mathematica and what you give makes me glad I haven't! It's clearly using some general algorithm and then not recognizing that, since [itex](sin^2(x))^(1/2)[/itex] is |sin(x)|, [itex]-cot(x)(sin^2(x))^(1/2)= -(cos(x)/sin(x))(-sin(x))= cos(x)[/itex].

What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a function. This involves finding the area under the curve of the function, and is typically solved using calculus.

Why is solving integration problems important?

Solving integration problems is important because it allows us to find the total amount or accumulation of something, such as distance traveled, velocity, or volume. It is also used in many other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different methods for solving integration problems?

There are several methods for solving integration problems, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. Each method is useful for different types of functions and can make solving the problem more efficient.

What are common mistakes made when solving integration problems?

Some common mistakes when solving integration problems include forgetting to include the constant of integration, using the wrong method, or making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving integration problems. It is also helpful to understand the basic principles and rules of integration, as well as familiarizing yourself with various methods for solving different types of problems. Seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.