Find the length of a side of a cube

• Thread starter poohbear1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Length
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a side of a cube with a given volume of 800 cm3. The equation V = s3 is used, and the expert explains how to solve for s by multiplying both sides by a certain power. Examples are given to clarify the process.
poohbear1986
trying to figure this out, but am confused on the steps please help thank you

The volume of a cube is given by V = s3, where s is the length of a side. Find the length of a side of a cube if the volume is 800 cm3. Round the answer to three decimal places.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already know the volume that you want (800cm^3). And you have an equation for the volume and the unknown(the unknown being s). Can you show me the equation you have for "s" in terms of "V" ?

i was no given one, i think my teacher is a moron

It looks like you were given one. You said in your opening post that the volume "V" is equal to 3 times "s," so you have V = 3s. Can you tell me what s equals in terms of "V"?

hotcommodity said:
It looks like you were given one. You said in your opening post that the volume "V" is equal to 3 times "s," so you have V = 3s. Can you tell me what s equals in terms of "V"?

It's the volume of a cube with side length s, I believe that s3 was meant to be s3.

d_leet said:
It's the volume of a cube with side length s, I believe that s3 was meant to be s3.

Ah, you're correct. My mistake.

Well, for poohbears sake, I'll give an example of what your teacher is looking for.

If I have[tex] y = x^{4} [/tex] , then I can put x in terms of y by multiplying both x and y to the [tex] \frac{1}{4} [/tex] power:

[tex] y^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Now I have x in terms of y. Just multiply both sides of your equation by a similar power to get s in terms of the volume. Sorry for any confusion.

can you use numbers its easier to see what you mean

thanks

poohbear1986 said:
can you use numbers its easier to see what you mean

thanks

Sure, we can do that. If I say [tex] 16 = x^{4} [/tex], then I want to multiply both sides of the equation by the one-fourth power:

[tex]16^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Then just plug 16 to the 1/4 power into your calculator to find that x = 2.

still not understanding both sides of my equation are gooing to have cubed numbers

You have [tex] V = s^{3} [/tex]. What power must you multiply both sides by to get s in terms of V? If you multiply[tex] s^{3} [/tex] by a certain power, you'll get s all by itself. Follow the reasoning in the example above.

so if i multiply both sides by 1/3 i should get what I'm looking for

poohbear1986 said:
so if i multiply both sides by 1/3 i should get what I'm looking for

Not by 1/3, but to the 1/3 power. Notice in the example above that we're multiplying both sides by a power. Here's one more to try:

If I have [tex] 81 = x^{4}[/tex] , I want to multiply each side by the 1/4 power to find x:

[tex] 81^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}} = x[/tex]

When you plug in 81 to the one-fourth power, that is 81^(1/4), you should find that x = 3.Try the examples above on your calculator so you're comforable with the concept.

thanks a lot i finally understand what I'm looking at, i appreciate the help

No problem :) Keep up the good work.

1. How do you find the length of a side of a cube?

To find the length of a side of a cube, you can use the formula: Length = Volume^(1/3). This formula works because all sides of a cube have equal length, so we can use the volume of the cube to determine the length of one side.

2. What is the volume of a cube?

The volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length of one side by itself three times. So, if the length of one side is 5 cm, the volume of the cube would be 5 cm * 5 cm * 5 cm = 125 cm^3.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of a side of a cube?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only works for right triangles. A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six equal square faces, so it cannot be applied to find the length of a side of a cube.

4. How many sides does a cube have?

A cube has six equal square sides, also known as faces. It is a three-dimensional shape with 12 edges and 8 vertices.

5. Can the length of a side of a cube be negative?

No, the length of a side of a cube cannot be negative. Length is a measure of distance and cannot have a negative value.