Properties of Tsunamis: Understanding & Simplifying Formulas

• Thread starter NiklasKunkel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
Your Name]In summary, Niklas is researching the properties of tsunamis and is looking for resources to help him understand the mathematics involved. He has found two resources so far, one discussing the relationship between amplitude and wavelength of a tsunami wave, and the other calculating the intensity of a tsunami. He is meeting with his physics professor for further guidance and clarification.
NiklasKunkel
I'm doing a project on the Properties of Tsunamis and how they relate to each other if certain variables are input (given).

I've tried looking for a lot of different resources through google however a lot of the search results are phased out by snippets of news concerning past tsunami's or relief funds, both of which I'm not really interested in.

I should make it clear that I'm trying to simplify such formulas by aproximating constants or eliminating some variables completely in exchange for a larger margin of innacuracy. (Basically, I'm a Sophomore in High School and don't think I can cope with a lot of the more advanced properties of Tsunami's yet).

What I've found so far to be closest to what I'm looking for are formulas or theorems from which I could derive such things as Speed, Energy, and Velocity/Acceleration.

The closest resource I've found relating to this is http://plus.maths.org/issue34/features/tsunami/appendix2-gifd.html" thought I'm not entirely sure what all the variables in the equation stand for.

Another resources I found through a post on this forum was for classifying the intensity of Tsunami's (I'm assuming this means energy/power?). However once again I'm a bit dazed by a lot of the variables used. - http://hmf.enseeiht.fr/travaux/CD0001/travaux/optsee/hym/2/pa02.htm#Calculation"

Would you please try to explain the mathematics used in these resources so I can try to understand them or point me to some other resources you think I might find helpful.

I'm meeting with the Physics Proffesor at my school later this week to show him the research I've done so far so he can help me simplify it down to something I can use.

Thanks You for your time,

Niklas

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Niklas,

Thank you for your interest in studying the properties of tsunamis. I am happy to help you understand the mathematics used in the resources you have found so far.

The first resource you mentioned, the article from Plus Magazine, is discussing the relationship between the amplitude and wavelength of a tsunami wave. The variables in the equation stand for the following:

- a is the amplitude of the wave, which is the maximum height of the wave from the normal sea level.
- λ is the wavelength, which is the distance between two consecutive wave crests.
- g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.
- T is the period of the wave, which is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle.

The equation shows that the speed of a tsunami wave is directly proportional to the square root of its wavelength, and inversely proportional to the square root of its period. This means that a tsunami wave with a longer wavelength will travel faster than one with a shorter wavelength, and a tsunami wave with a longer period will travel slower than one with a shorter period.

The second resource you mentioned, the website from the ENSEEIHT school, is discussing the calculation of the intensity of a tsunami. The intensity of a tsunami is a measure of its destructive power, and it is affected by several factors such as the wave height, the speed of the wave, and the density of the water.

The website presents a formula for calculating the intensity of a tsunami, which includes the following variables:

- I is the intensity of the tsunami.
- H is the wave height.
- V is the speed of the wave.
- ρ is the density of the water.

The formula also includes a constant, k, which takes into account the effects of different types of waves (such as shallow water waves or deep water waves) on the intensity.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the mathematics used in these resources. If you have any further questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. I also recommend discussing your research with your physics professor, as they will be able to provide you with further guidance and support.

Best of luck with your project!

Dear Niklas,

It's great to hear that you are taking an interest in the properties of tsunamis and working on a project to understand them better. I can provide some guidance and resources to help you simplify the formulas and understand the mathematics behind them.

First, it's important to understand that tsunamis are complex phenomena that involve many different variables and factors. Therefore, it's not surprising that the formulas and theorems related to them may seem overwhelming at first. However, with some guidance and practice, you can definitely grasp the key concepts and use them to understand and predict the properties of tsunamis.

The resources you have found so far are a good starting point, but I would also recommend looking for some introductory textbooks or online courses on the physics of waves and fluid dynamics. These topics are essential for understanding tsunamis, as they are essentially large ocean waves caused by disturbances in the water.

In general, the formulas and theorems related to tsunamis involve variables such as water depth, wave height, wavelength, and wave speed. These variables are interconnected and can be used to calculate various properties of tsunamis, such as their energy, velocity, and acceleration.

The resource you mentioned from Plus Magazine is a good starting point, but it may be helpful to have some background knowledge on the physics of waves before trying to understand it in depth. The same goes for the resource from HMF Enseeiht, which uses complex mathematical equations to classify the intensity of tsunamis. It may be helpful to have your physics professor explain these equations to you in simpler terms.

In addition to these resources, I would also recommend checking out the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) website, as they have a lot of information and resources on tsunamis, including simplified formulas and explanations. You can also try searching for "tsunami physics for beginners" or "introduction to tsunamis" to find more resources that may be easier to understand.

Lastly, I would also suggest reaching out to other scientists or researchers who specialize in the study of tsunamis. They may be able to provide more specific guidance and resources tailored to your project.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Sincerely,

What are the properties of tsunamis?

Tsunamis are large, powerful waves that are caused by underwater disturbances such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or meteorite impacts. They can travel at speeds up to 500 miles per hour and can reach heights of over 100 feet.

How are tsunamis measured and tracked?

Tsunamis are measured using a variety of instruments such as tide gauges, buoys, and satellite sensors. They are also tracked using computer models that predict their direction and intensity based on data from these instruments.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a tsunami?

The formula for calculating the speed of a tsunami is v = √(g x d), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and d is the depth of the water in meters.

How can we simplify the formula for calculating the height of a tsunami?

The simplified formula for calculating the height of a tsunami is h = √(g x d x t²), where h is the height in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), d is the depth of the water in meters, and t is the time in seconds since the tsunami was generated.

What factors can affect the properties of tsunamis?

The properties of tsunamis can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and location of the underwater disturbance, the shape of the coastline, and the depth and slope of the ocean floor. Climate change and sea level rise can also impact the intensity and frequency of tsunamis.