Dipole and Angular Momentum

In summary: I*r). Now, we can substitute the expressions for L and r to get M = (mvr)/(I*r). Simplifying this further, we get M = (m*v*r)/(I*r) = (m*v)/I.Since we know that the angular momentum (L) is equal to the product of the mass (m), velocity (v) and the radius (r), we can substitute this into the equation and get M = (m*v*r)/(I*r) = (L)/I.Now, we can substitute the value of L from the homework equations (L=Iw=mrv=rp) and we get M = (L)/I = (rp)/I.Finally, we can substitute the value
mer584
1. Homework Statement
Show that the magnetic dipole moment M of an electron orbiting a proton nucleus of a hydrogen atom is related to the orbital angular momentum M=(e/2m)L

2. Homework Equations
M=NIA, Torque =MB, F=qvB=v^2/r, L=Iw=mrv=rp (where p=mv)

N=1 in this case I assume?

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I've tried every combination of everything I can think of. I started with solving for L as L=2mM/q (where q=e). Then I tried substituting everything I could think of in for L and nothing made sense. I also tried starting with M=Torque/B and substituting I*(angular acceleration) for torque but you just end up with vqr. I think I'm approaching this wrong, can anyone help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. This is a great problem to work on and it involves understanding the relationship between magnetic dipole moment and orbital angular momentum. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, let's start with the definition of magnetic dipole moment (M) and orbital angular momentum (L). Magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength of a magnetic dipole, and it is defined as the product of the current (I) and the area (A) of the loop. In this case, the loop is the electron orbiting the proton nucleus. So, we can write M = I*A.

On the other hand, orbital angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of the electron around the nucleus. It is defined as the product of the mass (m), velocity (v) and the radius (r) of the orbit, which can also be written as L = mvr.

Now, let's consider the relationship between the magnetic dipole moment and orbital angular momentum. We know that the magnetic field (B) is equal to the product of the current (I) and the distance (r) from the loop, which can also be written as B=I*r. We can also write the force (F) acting on the electron due to the magnetic field as F = qvB, where q is the charge of the electron.

Now, we can use the definition of torque (T = r x F) to relate the magnetic dipole moment and the orbital angular momentum. Since the force acting on the electron is perpendicular to the radius vector (r), we can write T = rF = r (qvB) = qvr x B. This is the torque acting on the electron due to the magnetic field.

We know that the torque is also equal to the product of the magnetic dipole moment (M) and the magnetic field (B). So, we can write T = MB.

Substituting the expressions for T and B, we get MB = qvr x B. Now, we can write qvr as the cross product of the orbital angular momentum (L) and the magnetic field (B). So, we get MB = L x B.

Finally, we can solve for the magnetic dipole moment by dividing both sides by B. So, we get M = L/B.

Since we know that B=I*r, we can substitute this into the equation and get M = L/(

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concepts of dipole and angular momentum. A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic dipole, which is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic poles separated by a small distance. Angular momentum, on the other hand, is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle or system of particles.

In this problem, we are given the relationship between the magnetic dipole moment M and the orbital angular momentum L of an electron orbiting a proton in a hydrogen atom. This relationship can be derived using the equations provided in the problem.

First, we need to understand that the electron in orbit around the proton is essentially a tiny current loop, with a current I = e/t, where e is the charge of the electron and t is the time taken for the electron to complete one orbit. The area enclosed by this current loop is the cross-sectional area of the orbit, which is given by A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the orbit.

Now, let's look at the equation for the magnetic dipole moment M = NIA, where N is the number of turns in the current loop and A is the area enclosed by the loop. In this case, N = 1 and A = πr^2, so we can rewrite the equation as M = IA = (e/t)(πr^2).

Next, we can use the equation for torque, τ = MB, where B is the magnetic field and τ is the torque acting on the current loop. The torque is provided by the Lorentz force, F = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. We can rewrite this equation as τ = (qvB)r, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In this case, r = rp, where rp is the radius of the orbit.

Now, we can use the equation for angular momentum L = Iω = mvr, where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit. Substituting this into the equation for torque, we get τ = (qvB)(mvr), which can be rewritten as τ = (qv)(mvr)B.

Since we know that τ = MB, we can equate the two equations

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a system. It is a vector quantity that describes the overall polarity of a molecule or electric field.

2. How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the distance between the two charges. It is often expressed in units of Debye (D), where 1 D is equal to 3.336 x 10^-30 coulomb-meters.

3. What is the relationship between dipole moment and polarity?

The greater the dipole moment, the more polar a molecule or electric field is. This is because a larger separation of charges indicates a stronger imbalance of positive and negative charges.

4. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system. It is a vector quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the rotational motion.

5. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This conservation law is described by the principle of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.