Calculating Heat Transfer Time for Steel Immersed in Zinc Bath

In summary, it would take approximately one second to heat the piece of steel to 460 deg C using the equation t=L^2/D. The characteristic length, L, is half of the thickness of the steel, or 1/8". The thermal diffusivity of steel is 10-5 m2/s or 0.0155 in2/s. A useful reference for solving similar problems is Incropera & DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer.
loopster
If I had a piece of steel 0.25" thick 1 meter wide and 1 meter long and it was at 100 deg C and it was immersed in a bath of zinc at 460 deg C how long would it take to heat the piece of steel to 460 deg C?

Would this be down the lines of Fourier's Law of conduction?

q= 42*1*(460-100)/0.0635?

FYI... I am a process engineer at a steel company and my son directed me to this sight for help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi loopster, welcome to PF. A simple way to estimate the heating time is

[tex]t\approx\frac{L^2}{D}[/tex]

where [itex]L[/itex] is the characteristic length and [itex]D[/itex] is the thermal diffusivity. I'd take half the thickness, 1/8", as the characteristic length because the zinc bath is on both sides. It looks like the thermal diffusivity of steel is about 10-5 m2/s = 0.0155 in2/s. This predicts the heating time to be about a second. Is this helpful?

Incropera & DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer is a great reference if you have to solve a lot of these types of problems.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of moving thermal energy from one object or system to another. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat between objects that are in direct contact with each other. This occurs through the collision of molecules and the transfer of energy from higher temperature regions to lower temperature regions.

3. What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. This can occur through natural convection, where warmer fluids rise and cooler fluids sink, or through forced convection, where external forces such as fans or pumps are used to move the fluids.

4. What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. This can occur through objects that are not in direct contact, such as the heat from the sun warming the Earth's surface.

5. How is heat transfer important in everyday life?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, from cooking and heating our homes to cooling our electronics and vehicles. It also allows our bodies to maintain a constant internal temperature and is essential for many industrial processes.