Particle anti-particle production?

• Thread starter jklol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the maximum mass of a new particle that can be produced in a head-on collision of two protons with 7 TeV of energy each is approximately 14 TeV/c^2. This is determined by using the conservation of energy and momentum equations and assuming the protons do not annihilate each other.
jklol
particle anti-particle production??

hey guys,
my problem is as follows:
2 protons have energies of 7TeV each and collide head on. approximately how massive a new type of particle can be produced in pair? you can ignore the proton mass. the question also says that "since the 2 protons do not annihilate each other, you can only get an order of magnitude answer.

relevant question:
an electron and positron collide with a total energy of 162GeV and produce a pair of W bosons which leave the collision point in opposite directions. a W boson has mass 80GeV/c^2. how fast is each boson moving? you can ignore the e- and e+ mass and assume that the boson is moving at non-relativistic speeds.

the way i figured the problem was that two parameters must hold true, conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. Starting momentum and ending momentum are both 0 so that doesn't help, and to get the most massive type of particle, all the energy of the protons would go into the mass of the new particles, meaning kinetic energy is 0, so i feel like i would just use E=mc^2. but it seems way too easy for the difficulty of my class. am i doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be greatly appreciated.Yes, you are essentially correct. Conservation of energy and momentum implies that the total energy of the two protons must equal the mass of the particle-antiparticle pair that is created; since the protons do not annihilate each other, the total energy of the system does not change. Using the equation E=mc^2, and neglecting the mass of the protons, we can calculate the mass of the particle-antiparticle pair that can be created with the given energy. Therefore, the maximum mass of the particle-antiparticle pair that can be produced in this scenario is approximately 14 TeV/c^2.

What is particle anti-particle production?

Particle anti-particle production refers to the creation of a particle and its corresponding anti-particle, which have opposite charge and other properties, from energy.

What happens during particle anti-particle production?

During particle anti-particle production, energy is converted into mass through the creation of a particle and anti-particle pair. These particles then quickly annihilate each other, releasing additional energy.

How is particle anti-particle production related to the Big Bang theory?

Particle anti-particle production played a crucial role in the early universe during the Big Bang. As the universe rapidly expanded, high-energy collisions between particles resulted in the production of new particles and anti-particles.

What is the significance of particle anti-particle production in modern physics?

Particle anti-particle production is an essential phenomenon in understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It has been observed and studied in various experiments, providing evidence for our current understanding of particle physics.

Can particle anti-particle production be controlled or harnessed for practical use?

While particle anti-particle production is a fundamental process in nature, it is not currently possible to control or harness it for practical use. However, scientists continue to study this phenomenon in hopes of understanding and potentially utilizing it in the future.