Centre of mass of a solid hemisphere.

In summary: You're on the right track, but not quite there yet. What's the radius of a disk at position y? (Draw yourself a diagram.)
grahammtb
Hi there, I can't get my head round how to do the math for this problem. I'm sure it's not as hard as I think...

Homework Statement

Show that the CoM of a uniform solid hemisphere of radius r lies at a distance (3/8)r from the centre of the flat face.
You may find it convenient to regard the hemisphere as consisting of a very large number of extremely thin discs of varying radii stacked on top of each other.

Homework Equations

I'm thinking I'll need the equation for CoM, involving an integral: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]rdm. This I think can be modified to: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]\rho[/tex]dV, where rho is the density at radius r.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Thanks very much for any help!
~Graham :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
grahammtb said:
I'm thinking I'll need the equation for CoM, involving an integral: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]rdm. This I think can be modified to: R=(1/M)[tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]\rho[/tex]dV, where rho is the density at radius r.
So far, so good. To avoid confusion, I recommend you use a different variable of integration than r--let's say y. (Imagine the hemisphere axis to be along the y-axis from y = 0 to y = r.) What's the volume of a thin disk located at position y?

Doc Al said:
So far, so good. To avoid confusion, I recommend you use a different variable of integration than r--let's say y. (Imagine the hemisphere axis to be along the y-axis from y = 0 to y = r.) What's the volume of a thin disk located at position y?

Ok, since the discs are extremely thin, I'd approximate the volume of the disc to be its area. So: A(y) = Pi.(r(y))2.

Hi Graham! :smile:
grahammtb said:
… You may find it convenient to regard the hemisphere as consisting of a very large number of extremely thin discs of varying radii stacked on top of each other.

… dV …

You're ignoring the hint …

if you use discs stacked on top of each other (with height z, say), you can go straight to integrating over dz, instead of dV. :wink:

grahammtb said:
Ok, since the discs are extremely thin, I'd approximate the volume of the disc to be its area. So: A(y) = Pi.(r(y))2.
The disks are thin, but not zero thickness! :bugeye: Hint: dV = Area dy.

Doc Al said:
The disks are thin, but not zero thickness! :bugeye: Hint: dV = Area dy.
Ah I think I see...so if dV = Ady, then I can put that into my original eqn. for CoM? R = (1/M)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]ydV. Then R = (Pi.[tex]\rho[/tex]/M)[tex]\int[/tex]y3dy...I think :redface:

grahammtb said:
Ah I think I see...so if dV = Ady, then I can put that into my original eqn. for CoM? R = (1/M)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]ydV. Then R = (Pi.[tex]\rho[/tex]/M)[tex]\int[/tex]y3dy...I think :redface:
You're on the right track, but not quite there yet. What's the radius of a disk at position y? (Draw yourself a diagram.)

yep! It worked! Thanks a lot guys, I'd have spent all afternoon trying to pick my way through :)

1. What is the definition of the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The centre of mass of a solid hemisphere is the point at which the hemisphere can be balanced on a pivot, without tipping over in any direction. It is the point where the mass of the hemisphere is evenly distributed.

2. How is the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere calculated?

The centre of mass of a solid hemisphere can be calculated by dividing the hemisphere into infinitesimally small sections and finding the average position of all the mass within those sections. This can be done using the formula x = (1/M)∫x dm, where x is the distance from the pivot, M is the total mass, and dm is the mass of each small section.

3. Is the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere always located at the geometric center?

No, the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere is not always located at the geometric center. It depends on the density distribution of the hemisphere. If the density is uniform, then the centre of mass will be at the geometric center. However, if the density is not uniform, the centre of mass will be shifted towards the denser regions.

4. How does the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere affect its stability?

The position of the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere is an important factor in determining its stability. If the centre of mass is located above the base of the hemisphere, it will be stable and remain in its position. However, if the centre of mass is located outside the base, the hemisphere will be unstable and will tip over.

5. Can the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere change?

Yes, the centre of mass of a solid hemisphere can change if the density or shape of the hemisphere is altered. For example, if a hole is drilled into the hemisphere, the centre of mass will shift towards the side with the hole. Additionally, if the hemisphere is deformed, the centre of mass will also shift. However, for a uniform hemisphere, the centre of mass will remain the same.