How to find the equation of a line in complex analysis?

In summary, Complex analysis says that if you have a graph with points (x, y) that satisfy the equation y = mx + b, you will get the same graph in the complex plane with the equation Im[z] = m*Re[z] + b.
Bacat
*This is not homework, though a class was the origin of my curiosity.

In real analysis we could find the equation of a line that passes through two points by finding the slope and then plugging in one set of points to calculate the value of b. ie

[tex]y = mx + b[/tex]

m = [tex]\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]

In complex analysis, we know that the equation for a line is [tex]Re[((m+i)z+b)]=0[/tex]. Sitting down to derive m, I find the following:

[tex]m = \frac{Im[z_1] - Im[z_2]}{Re[z_1]-Re[z_2]}[/tex]

But if I try to plug in the points (say [tex]z_{1}[/tex] and [tex]z_{2}[/tex]), it doesn't give me a value for b that makes sense. what is the correct way to find the equation of a line?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bacat said:
In complex analysis, we know that the equation for a line is [tex]Re[((m+i)z+b)][/tex].
The expression you gave is not an equation. What is the complete expression?
The complex plane is simply an imaginary axis and a real axis at right angles to each other. If z = (x, y) = x + iy is an arbitrary complex variable, it pretty much replaces y in our equations with Im[z] and x with Re[z]. so if you have a graph with points (x, y) that satisfy the equation y = mx + b, you will get the same graph in the complex plane with the equation Im[z] = m*Re[z] + b. This is not very geometric, however, and your equation for the slope of a line passing through the points z1 and z2 is more descriptive:
[tex]m = \frac{Im[z_1] - Im[z_2]}{Re[z_1]-Re[z_2]}[/tex]

But if I try to plug in the points (say [tex]z_{1}[/tex] and [tex]z_{2}[/tex]), it doesn't give me a value for b that makes sense. what is the correct way to find the equation of a line?
I'm not sure what equation you're plugging it into but geometrically, a line can be defined as the set of points equidistant from two distinct points in the plane, say z1 and z2. This gives us the equation |z - z1| = |z - z2| for the set of points z on the line.
If you go ahead and translate this into the point-slope form, you get your m as above and the equation b = [[Re(z2)]22 + [Im(z2)]2 - ([Re(z1)]22 + [Im(z1)]2)]/2(Re(z2) - Re(z1)) = [|z2| - |z1|]/2(Re(z2) - Re(z1)) .

Yes, that makes sense now. I think I was just crunching wrong. I amended my previous equation. [tex]Re((m+i)z + b))=0[/tex]

If I let [tex]z_1=1+0i[/tex] and [tex]z_2=-1-i[/tex]

I calculate:

[tex]m=\frac{0-(-1)}{1-(-1)}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]Re((\frac{1}{2}+i)*(1+0i)+b))=0[/tex]
[tex]Re(\frac{1}{2}+i+b)=0[/tex]
[tex]b=-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

And the equation of the line is: [tex]Re((\frac{1}{2}+i)z - \frac{1}{2})=0[/tex]

This works. Thank you!

1. How do I find the equation of a line in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a line can be represented by the equation z = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. To find this equation, you will need to have at least two points on the line and use the slope formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) to calculate the slope. Once you have the slope, you can use one of the points to solve for b and create the equation for the line.

2. Can the equation of a line in complex analysis include imaginary numbers?

Yes, the equation z = mx + b can include imaginary numbers, as both m and b can be complex numbers. This is because complex numbers have a real and imaginary part, and both parts can be used to represent the slope and y-intercept of a line in complex analysis.

3. What is the difference between a line in complex analysis and a line in real analysis?

The main difference between a line in complex analysis and a line in real analysis is that a line in complex analysis exists in a two-dimensional complex plane, while a line in real analysis exists in a two-dimensional Cartesian plane. This means that the equations for these lines will also be different, with the former using complex numbers and the latter using real numbers. Additionally, lines in complex analysis can have a slope and y-intercept that are both complex numbers, while lines in real analysis will only have real numbers for these values.

4. How can I graph a line in complex analysis?

To graph a line in complex analysis, you will need to plot at least two points on the complex plane and then connect them with a straight line. The slope of the line will determine the angle at which the line is drawn, and the y-intercept will determine the position of the line on the complex plane. You can also use the equation of the line to graph it by plugging in different values for x and solving for y, which will give you multiple points to plot on the graph.

5. Can a line in complex analysis be vertical or horizontal?

Yes, a line in complex analysis can be vertical or horizontal, just like in real analysis. A vertical line in complex analysis will have a slope that is undefined, while a horizontal line will have a slope of 0. The equations for these lines will look slightly different, with a vertical line being represented by x = a and a horizontal line being represented by y = b, where a and b are constants.