Achieving Astrophysicist Dreams - A First-Gen College Student's Story

In summary, the speaker joined the navy after high school to figure out their career path and earn money for college. After four years, they have decided to pursue a career in astrophysics and plan to transfer to the University of Washington. They are a first-generation college student with limited guidance on the college admissions process. They have researched and concluded that they need a strong background in calculus and physics before starting their astrophysics courses, and may also double major in physics and astronomy. They are seeking advice and resources to prepare for their future as an astrophysicist.
Turkagent
Hi there, just need to give a little bit of my background before I get into my question.

When I graduated high school I was confused about what to do so I decided to join the navy to figure out what I wanted to do and get college money. I enlisted to become a Missile technician on a nuclear powered submarine. So fast-forward four years and here I am today. I've researched many things and I found out that I want to be a Astrophysicist and I am going to probably end up going to University of Washington. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about college or have anyone who knew a lot about them, so I will have to be a transfer student rather than entering as a freshman(I have taken a few college courses in what spare time I get).

I also will be a 'first-generation' college student. Meaning no one in my family has gone to college and I really have no one to advise me on how to register for college, where to go, what to ask and so on. So currently from what I have read up, I should have a Calculus level math education and basic physics education before starting to take physics courses. I also read many sites that suggested that I double major in physics/astronomy if I plan to go into "advanced work in the astronomy field" which I took to mean astrophysics.

So essentially, I want to become an astrophysicist and I currently am getting my math and physics abilities up to par so I'm not too far behind, but I feel if I don't learn more and get more information I will be too far behind. I was just wanting any advice, assistance, books I could read, or websites. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to be an astrophysicist also, the way I am approaching it is to get a physics B.S. with a math minor. Getting some undergrad coursework in astronomy probably helps but from what I am read it is far from essential for getting into a graduate program in astronomy. In terms of math you should learn most everything you need on your way to your major in physics. Good luck in your ventures! Maybe we'll meet at a conference of astrophysicists one day :)

First of all, congratulations on your decision to become an astrophysicist and for taking the necessary steps to achieve your dreams! It takes a lot of courage and determination to pursue a career in a field that you are passionate about, especially as a first-generation college student.

I can understand your concerns about being a transfer student and not having anyone to advise you on the college process. However, as long as you have the necessary prerequisites and qualifications, being a transfer student should not hinder your chances of pursuing a degree in astrophysics. In fact, your experience in the navy may give you a unique perspective and set of skills that can be valuable in the field of astrophysics.

In terms of preparing for your studies, it is great that you are already taking college courses to improve your math and physics abilities. I would also recommend reaching out to the University of Washington's astrophysics department or professors in that field. They may be able to provide you with more specific advice and resources to help you prepare for your studies. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available for you to continue learning and improving your skills in math and physics.

As for your double major in physics and astronomy, it is definitely a good idea if you plan on pursuing advanced work in the astronomy field, such as astrophysics. However, make sure to speak with an advisor at the university to ensure that you are on the right track and taking the necessary courses for both majors.

Overall, my advice would be to stay focused on your goal and continue to work hard to improve your skills and knowledge in math and physics. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and guidance, whether it be from professors, advisors, or fellow students. Most importantly, never give up on your dreams and keep pushing yourself to achieve your goals. Best of luck on your journey to becoming an astrophysicist!

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in astrophysics?

I have always been fascinated by the universe and its mysteries. Growing up, I would spend hours stargazing and reading books about space. As a first-generation college student, I wanted to break barriers and pursue a career in a field that was not traditionally pursued by people from my background.

2. What challenges did you face as a first-generation college student pursuing a degree in astrophysics?

As a first-generation college student, I faced numerous challenges such as financial struggles, lack of guidance, and imposter syndrome. I had to work multiple jobs to pay for my education and often felt like I didn't belong in the field as I didn't have the same background and resources as my peers.

3. How did you overcome these challenges and achieve your dream of becoming an astrophysicist?

I overcame these challenges by seeking out mentors and resources within the astrophysics community. I also worked hard to excel academically and took advantage of opportunities such as internships and research experiences. Additionally, I surrounded myself with a supportive network of friends and family who believed in my abilities.

4. What advice do you have for other first-generation college students pursuing a career in astrophysics?

My advice would be to never give up on your dreams. It may seem daunting at times, but with hard work, determination, and a strong support system, anything is possible. Seek out mentors and resources, take advantage of opportunities, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. And most importantly, believe in yourself and your abilities.

5. What impact do you hope to make as an astrophysicist?

As an astrophysicist, I hope to make a positive impact by contributing to our understanding of the universe and inspiring future generations, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds, to pursue careers in STEM fields. I also hope to use my platform to advocate for diversity and inclusion in the scientific community.