Small part of a larger problem

• Thread starter efekwulsemmay
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about trying to split the fraction 9/(x+h) into 9/x + ?. The experts explained that this is not possible and suggested using a common denominator to subtract fractions, resulting in -9h/(x(x+h)), which can then be used to complete the derivative. The conversation also included a comment about the experts' ability to understand what the asker was trying to do.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out of [tex]\frac{9}{x+h}[/tex] can be split into some thing like
[tex]\frac{9}{x} + ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do. I am trying to do this as part of a larger limits problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe you can change one to the other. The difference between 9/(x + h) and 9/x is that the first is shifted -h units to the left of the graph of 9/x. 9/x + something would shift the graph of 9/x up something units.

You would need to add it to a fraction whose denominator 'a' had the property xa = x + h, or a = (x + h)/x. Unfortunately, there is no fraction that you can add that will not affect the numerator as well.

Damn, ok thanks for your help, both of you.

What you can do is get a common denominator and subtract fractions.
[tex]\frac{9}{x+h}- \frac{9}{x}= \frac{9x}{x(x+h)}- \frac{9(x+h)}{x(x+h)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{9x- 9(x+h)}{x(x+h)}= \frac{-9h}{x(x+h)}[/tex]
and you should be able to complete the derivative.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
What you can do is get a common denominator and subtract fractions.
[tex]\frac{9}{x+h}- \frac{9}{x}= \frac{9x}{x(x+h)}- \frac{9(x+h)}{x(x+h)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{9x- 9(x+h)}{x(x+h)}= \frac{-9h}{x(x+h)}[/tex]
and you should be able to complete the derivative.

Ahhhhh, I see said the blind man to the deaf dog with no ears. Thank you!

Btw how did you figure out that that's what I was trying to do? That was pretty amazing. :D

Last edited:
Hey, after some time here you get used to figuring out what people are really asking!

1. What is the definition of a "small part of a larger problem" in science?

A small part of a larger problem refers to a specific aspect or component of a larger issue or phenomenon that is being studied or investigated in scientific research.

2. How do scientists determine which part of a larger problem to focus on?

Scientists often use their expertise and knowledge in a particular field to identify and prioritize the most significant or relevant aspects of a larger problem to study. They may also conduct preliminary research to gather more information and select a specific area of focus.

3. Can a small part of a larger problem have a significant impact on the overall issue?

Yes, a small part of a larger problem can have a significant impact on the overall issue. It is essential to study and understand all aspects of a problem to develop effective solutions. A small part can also serve as a starting point for further research and contribute to a better understanding of the larger problem.

4. How do scientists ensure that their findings about a small part of a larger problem are relevant to the overall issue?

Scientists use various research methods and techniques to collect and analyze data about a small part of a larger problem. They also compare their findings with existing knowledge and theories to ensure that their research is relevant and contributes to the understanding of the overall issue.

5. Can studying a small part of a larger problem lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs?

Yes, studying a small part of a larger problem can lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs. Often, scientific research starts with a small area of focus and expands to explore new ideas and possibilities. Discoveries made in one area of research can also have implications for other related fields, leading to new breakthroughs.