Helicopter Lift: Equations, Torque & RPMs

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of helicopter lift, torque, and blade design. It is mentioned that there is no single equation for the helicopter lift and that further research and experimentation is needed. The conversation also suggests a book for a better understanding of helicopter aerodynamics.
technovipin
Helicopter lift...

can i know the helicopter lift equation, torque produced in the main rotor,rpm variation with the tail and main rotor?

Physics news on Phys.org

There is no simple equation of the form you are asking.

can i know the difference between propeller blades, helicopter blades and their thrust and lift variation...

Again, what russ said.

can i know the calculaiton for the torque produced in the main rotor of the helicopter? and counter torque that has to be given to the tail rotor?
Note:- i am using a 12v motor

That is going to be beyond the scope of what you're able to do (based on your posts). Just play around with the tail rotor until you get it to work.

Hi.

This is my first post,
Can anybody help me to under stand the total lift force required to fly the helicopter ...
What is the effect of Rotor RPM on that......

Did you not read the very first reply by Russ?

Looks like a language problem. But try this

1. What is the equation for calculating helicopter lift?

The equation for calculating helicopter lift is Lift = 1/2 x Air Density x Blade Area x Coefficient of Lift x Velocity^2. This equation takes into account the air density, the size of the helicopter blades, the coefficient of lift, and the velocity of the helicopter.

2. How does torque affect helicopter lift?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In a helicopter, torque is generated by the rotation of the blades. This torque is counteracted by the tail rotor, which keeps the helicopter from spinning. The amount of torque produced by the blades affects the amount of lift the helicopter can generate.

3. What is the role of RPMs in helicopter lift?

RPMs, or revolutions per minute, refer to the speed at which the helicopter blades rotate. The higher the RPM, the faster the blades are rotating, and the more lift the helicopter can generate. However, there is a limit to how fast the blades can rotate before they become unstable, so pilots must carefully control the RPMs to maintain stability and control of the helicopter.

4. How does air density affect helicopter lift?

Air density is a measure of how much air is present in a given volume. In general, the higher the air density, the more lift a helicopter can generate. This is because the blades are able to push against more air molecules, creating more lift. However, air density can be affected by factors such as altitude and temperature, so pilots must take these into consideration when calculating lift.

5. How does the coefficient of lift impact helicopter lift?

The coefficient of lift is a measure of how efficiently a helicopter's blades are able to generate lift. It takes into account the shape and angle of the blades, as well as the airfoil design. A higher coefficient of lift means the blades are able to generate more lift with less effort, resulting in a more efficient and effective helicopter lift.