Angular Acceleration Problem Why am I not right?

In summary: The question is ambiguous as to sign, since no direction or sign convention was given. I would just give the magnitude of the acceleration.In summary, the angular acceleration of the blades as they slow down is -206.8215164 rad/s^2.
tjohn101

Homework Statement

The blades in a blender rotate at a rate of 7900 rpm. When the motor is turned off during operation, the blades slow to rest in 4.0 s. What is the angular acceleration as the blades slow down?

Vi= 7900 rpm = 82.72860654 rad/sec (This may be my error)
Vf= 0
t= 4 secs

Homework Equations

[tex]
v = v_0 + a t
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving for a in the answer above but the answer is incorrect.. I did:

0 = 82.72860654 + a(4)
and when solved got an answer of -20.68215164. I'm unsure of why this is NOT correct. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think the problem may be in my conversions to rad/sec or maybe I am forgetting to convert something.

Physics news on Phys.org
tjohn101 said:
Vi= 7900 rpm = 82.72860654 rad/sec (This may be my error)
You're off by a factor of ten.

Doc Al said:
You're off by a factor of ten.

Please tell me if this is the right method:

(7900*2pi)/60

If I do this then I get 827.2860654. Does that sound correct?

tjohn101 said:
Please tell me if this is the right method:

(7900*2pi)/60

If I do this then I get 827.2860654. Does that sound correct?
Perfect!

Doc Al said:
Perfect!

Okay, and when I solve using the equation above I get the acceleration as being -206.8215164. It is already in rad/sec^2, correct? No conversions needed there?

tjohn101 said:
Okay, and when I solve using the equation above I get the acceleration as being -206.8215164. It is already in rad/sec^2, correct? No conversions needed there?
Correct. You are computing Δω/Δt, so the units take care of themselves (since you already converted everything to standard units): (rad/s)/(s) = rad/s^2.

Doc Al said:
Correct. You are computing Δω/Δt, so the units take care of themselves (since you already converted everything to standard units): (rad/s)/(s) = rad/s^2.

Now there is one small problem. The answer is wrong. Would it be positive?

tjohn101 said:
Now there is one small problem. The answer is wrong. Would it be positive?
The question is ambiguous as to sign, since no direction or sign convention was given. I would just give the magnitude of the acceleration.

1. What is angular acceleration and why is it important?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move in a circular path and how they respond to external forces.

2. How do I calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is time.

3. Why am I getting a negative value for angular acceleration?

A negative value for angular acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down or decelerating. This could be due to external forces acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion or the object's own resistance to change in rotational motion.

4. Can angular acceleration be zero?

Yes, angular acceleration can be zero if the object is moving at a constant angular velocity. This means that the object is not speeding up or slowing down in its rotational motion.

5. How does angular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to the rate of change of linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.