Virtual Machines: Do you have one ? Xen,VMware, Virtual Box

In summary, virtual machines allow for different configurations on different machines. They are used for different purposes by different people.
m_krispy
Virtual Machines: Do you have one ? Xen,VMware, Virtual Box

Hi ... all ...Do you have a virtual machine ? (XEN, VMware, VirtualBox, or any other ...) ... please give more info on how you are using it ?

I''m trying to find out what are the different ways to use them ?...

how are people actually using this technology ...

anything obscure ... or random please give more info ...

thanks ...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9LZCZKB

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

I use VirtualPC to run old MSDOS games under Windows XP. One shortcoming is that there is no support for USB gaming controllers. It's also slower than native mode, but the old games ran on much slower system, so that's not an issue. Other alternatives for gaming are DOSBOX and GliDos.

So you are running MSDOS as a virtual instance ? ... : ] ...

Cool ...

The last time I used anything virtualization was to set up a sandbox for broken software. We had some process control software that needed to have different incompatible configurations for different situations for one user. Switching between the two configurations took reinstallation and some extra steps. Any misstep and it ate our data. It was easier to just have another copy of Windows running in VirtualBox with the second configuration ready to go.

I use virtualization every day with VMWare Workstation. I can't live without it.

Both my Mac and PC have linux instances running. I generally have both a server and and a workstation instance running. This is mainly for cross-platform compilation and deployment testing.

My brother is a network engineer and he has 10+ instances running of virtual network configurations.

Tons of companies are consolidating their servers using virtualization. Data centers are getting extremely dense these days.

Also, a common thing IT consultants do to keep projects from different clients from 'contaminating' each other is to give each client their own sandbox.

Last edited:

1. What is a virtual machine?

A virtual machine is a software program or emulation of a computer system that can run on a physical machine. It allows users to run multiple operating systems or applications on a single physical machine, creating a virtual environment that is isolated from the rest of the system.

2. What is the difference between Xen, VMware, and Virtual Box?

Xen, VMware, and Virtual Box are all different virtual machine software programs. The main difference between them is the type of virtualization they use. Xen uses paravirtualization, VMware uses full virtualization, and Virtual Box uses hardware-assisted virtualization. Each has its own advantages and may be better suited for different use cases.

3. Do I need a powerful computer to run a virtual machine?

The performance of a virtual machine depends on the resources allocated to it, but in general, a more powerful computer will be able to run multiple virtual machines simultaneously with better performance. However, there are also options for optimizing and managing resources within virtual machines to improve performance on less powerful machines.

4. Can I run different operating systems on a virtual machine?

Yes, one of the main purposes of virtual machines is to be able to run different operating systems on a single physical machine. This is useful for testing, development, or running legacy software that may not be compatible with your current operating system.

5. Are there any security concerns with using virtual machines?

Virtual machines can provide an extra layer of security by isolating the virtual environment from the rest of the system. However, there are still potential security risks, such as vulnerabilities in the virtualization software or misconfiguration of the virtual machine. It is important to keep the virtual machine software and operating systems up to date and properly configure security measures within the virtual environment.