Proving Continuity: Discontinuity Math Help and Tips

In summary, we are asked to prove that the function g(x) defined as the limit of f(y) as y approaches x is continuous, using the definitions of limit and continuity. This can be done by transferring statements about g at a point to statements about f on a smaller interval. The key is to follow the definitions in a straightforward manner.
Bleys

Homework Statement

f is a function with the property that every point of discontinuity is removable. There are infinitely many such points in f's domain. Define [tex] g(x) = \lim_{ y \to x } f(y) [/tex]. Prove g is continuous

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to maybe conclude something from showing g is bounded but I didn't really get anything there. I was wondering if you could give me a hint, but DON'T GIVE ME A SOLUTION yet. Should I be using straight forward definition or take some other route?

Physics news on Phys.org

You should be able to do this by following the definitions in a straightforward manner, more or less using only the concepts of limit and continuity. The key is that when you are examining the behavior of [tex]g[/tex] on an interval, you can transfer statements about [tex]g[/tex] at a point to statements about [tex]f[/tex] on a smaller interval.

1. What is a discontinuity in math?

A discontinuity in math refers to a point on a graph where the function is undefined or has a gap, resulting in a break in the continuity of the graph. This means that the function is not continuous at that particular point.

2. What causes a discontinuity in mathematical functions?

A discontinuity can be caused by various factors, such as division by zero, a jump or hole in the graph, or an asymptote. It can also occur when the limit of a function does not exist at a certain point.

3. How are discontinuities classified?

Discontinuities are classified into three types: removable, jump, and essential discontinuities. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole in the graph that can be filled by redefining the function at that point. A jump discontinuity happens when there is a gap or jump in the graph. An essential discontinuity occurs when the function has an asymptote at a certain point.

4. How do you determine if a function has a discontinuity?

To determine if a function has a discontinuity, you can graph the function and look for any breaks, gaps, or jumps. You can also check for any points where the function is undefined or has an asymptote. Additionally, you can use algebraic methods, such as finding the limit of the function at a particular point, to identify a discontinuity.

5. How can discontinuities affect the behavior of a function?

Discontinuities can greatly affect the behavior of a function. They can result in undefined or infinite values, which can make it challenging to analyze the function. Discontinuities can also cause sharp turns or sudden changes in the graph, making it difficult to determine the behavior of the function at that point. Therefore, it is important to identify and understand discontinuities when working with mathematical functions.