Simulational physics : prospects

• Physics
  • Thread starter !kx!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the field of simulation physics, which involves using computer simulation methods such as molecular dynamics. The speaker is looking for information on potential career paths in this field, but is unsure of how to define simulation physics. The person they are speaking with mentions that simulation is a common tool in various subfields of physics and that the term "computational physics" may be more appropriate. They also mention that this field has a wide range of applications and potential career opportunities.
!kx!
hi,
i would like to know where does someone who specializes in simulational physics might end up..?
By simulational physics i mean the computer simulation methods.. like molecular dynamics, etc..

Physics news on Phys.org
is there no one who deals with work in simulational physics.. or, knows nything about it...? it would be very helpful if anyone could provide with some info...

Last edited:
I am not actually sure how simulation physics is defined. I have never met anyone who received a degree in "simulation physics" nor have I ever seen the concentration or subfield called "simulation physics."

Most fields of physics deal with simulations, i.e. Monte Carlo simulations of detector response in nuclear and particle physics experiments, inspiral simulations in gravitational physics, etc. I *think* you are talking about is traditionally called computational physics.

Computational physics, in general, is a very broad field with applications to almost any subfield one might wish to pursue. I have a good friend who will be finishing his PhD in computational physics this spring and he has worked on projects as different as risk analysis for NASA to predicting meson masses.

thnx.. that was helpful.. i get the general picture that i can work in different fields, if i specialize in computational physics..

1. What is simulational physics?

Simulational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer simulations to model and study physical phenomena. It allows scientists to explore complex systems and make predictions without conducting expensive or time-consuming experiments.

2. What are the prospects of simulational physics?

The prospects of simulational physics are vast and constantly expanding. It has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of complex systems and phenomena, such as climate change, materials science, and astrophysics. With advancements in technology, simulational physics will continue to play a crucial role in scientific research.

3. How does simulational physics differ from traditional physics?

Traditional physics relies on theoretical models and experimental data to understand physical phenomena. Simulational physics, on the other hand, uses computer simulations to replicate and study these phenomena. It allows for more detailed and accurate simulations of complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to study in a laboratory.

4. What are the benefits of using simulational physics?

There are several benefits to using simulational physics. It allows for the study of complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to replicate in a laboratory. It also saves time and resources by avoiding expensive experiments. Additionally, simulational physics can provide insights and predictions that can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.

5. What are some current applications of simulational physics?

Simulational physics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, astrophysics, climate science, and biophysics. For example, it is used to model and study the behavior of materials at the atomic level, simulate the formation of galaxies and the evolution of the universe, and predict the effects of climate change on different ecosystems.