Maximizing Solutions for ODE with Initial Condition: Where to Begin?

• Thread starter zpconn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the problem is to find the maximum solution on all of R of the differential equation dy/dt = t * y^(1/3) subject to the initial-value conditoin y(1) = -1. However, by separating variables and integrating one finds (3/2) * y^(2/3) = t^2/2 + const. imposing the initial condition forces the constant to be complex. There is only one solution that satisfies the initial condition, which is the negative root of the equation y^2 = \left(\frac{t^2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}\right)^3.
zpconn
Note: this has been edited to fix a typo.

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the maximum solution on all of R of the differential equation dy/dt = t * y^(1/3) subject to the initial-value conditoin y(1) = -1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation is not subject to the conclusion of Picard's standard existence and uniqueness theorem since t * y^(1/3) is not Lipschitz in the y variable. But the existence of a solution is guaranteed by Peano's theorem. Further, it's proved in the theory of ODEs that there will be a maximum solution--a solution that is greater than or equal to all others at all points.

By separation of variables it's easy to find a particular solution and then use the initial condition to find the value of the constant that emerges in the process. But as for finding the maximum solution I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zpconn said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the maximum solution on all of R of the differential equation dt/dt = t * t^(1/3) subject to the initial-value conditoin y(1) = -1.
Don't you mean dy/dt = y*t^(1/3)?
zpconn said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation is not subject to the conclusion of Picard's standard existence and uniqueness theorem since t * y^(1/3) is not Lipschitz in the y variable. But the existence of a solution is guaranteed by Peano's theorem. Further, it's proved in the theory of ODEs that there will be a maximum solution--a solution that is greater than or equal to all others at all points.

By separation of variables it's easy to find a particular solution and then use the initial condition to find the value of the constant that emerges in the process. But as for finding the maximum solution I don't know where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh my, this was a bad typo. I meant dy/dt = t * y^(1/3) !

I found the solution, using separation. The graph looks something like two parabolas, one opening up, and one opening down. The one opening down goes through (1, -1). Being that this is the only solution that satisfies the initial condition and the differential equation, seems like it would also be the maximal solution. The other solution (the upward-opening parabola-like curve) is such that all of its y values are greater than those on the solution represented by the downward-opening parabola-like curve, but it doesn't pass through (1, -1).

Actually, I've realized I am somehow not solving it right, and your post verifies this since I got a different scenario.

Am I missing something here?

After separating variables and integrating one finds (3/2) * y^(2/3) = t^2/2 + const. But imposing the initial condition forces the constant to be complex as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that confused me as well. You might have noted your equation will satisfy the initial condition if the constant is equal to 2/3. If you solve for y2, you get

[tex]y^2 = \left(\frac{t^2}{3}+\frac{2}{3}\right)^3[/tex]

The solution you want is the negative root of that equation.

You are correct indeed.

Thanks very much to both of you!

1. What is a maximal solution to ODE?

A maximal solution to ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a solution that is defined for the largest possible interval of values. It is the most general solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

2. How is a maximal solution different from a general solution?

A general solution to ODE can have multiple solutions, while a maximal solution is unique and defined for the largest possible interval. Additionally, a general solution may not satisfy all initial conditions, whereas a maximal solution does.

3. What is the importance of finding a maximal solution?

Finding a maximal solution allows us to have a complete understanding of the behavior of the system described by the ODE. It also helps us determine the existence and uniqueness of solutions for certain initial conditions.

4. Can a maximal solution be extended beyond its interval of definition?

No, a maximal solution cannot be extended beyond its interval of definition. This is because the ODE may not be well-defined or the solution may not be unique outside of the given interval.

5. How do we find the maximal solution to an ODE?

In most cases, the maximal solution can be found by solving the ODE and using the initial conditions to determine the constants of integration. However, for more complex ODEs, numerical methods or series solutions may be used to find the maximal solution.