Coupled oscillator; frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling of two identical undamped oscillators with a coupling constant of magnitude less than 1. The equations of motion for the oscillators are given, but the restoring force is not included. The next step would be to consider the restoring force and find the normal modes and frequencies of the coupled system.
philnow

Homework Statement

Two identical undamped oscillators are coupled in such a way that the coupling force exerted on oscillator A is [tex]\alpha\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}[/tex] and the coupling force exerted on oscillator B is [tex]\alpha\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a coupling constant with magnitude less than 1. Describe the normal modes of the coupled system and find their frequencies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this isn't much of an attempt, but I've searched online and in the text... what am I supposed to do with this coupling constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing the equation of motion for both oscillators.

That's where I'm stuck...

[tex]m\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]m\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}[/tex]

?

I'd be glad to show more work if I knew what to do with this coupling constant!

mathman44 said:
That's where I'm stuck...

[tex]m\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]m\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}[/tex]

?
Those equations say the only force on the masses is the coupling force. What about the restoring force?

[tex]m\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_a}{dt^2} - k(x_a)[/tex]
[tex]m\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2}=\alpha\frac{d^2x_b}{dt^2} - k(x_b)[/tex]

What is a coupled oscillator?

A coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are connected and influence each other's motion. This can occur through physical connections or through shared parameters such as frequency or amplitude.

What is the frequency of a coupled oscillator?

The frequency of a coupled oscillator is the rate at which it oscillates or repeats its motion. It is determined by the natural frequencies of the individual oscillators and how they are coupled together.

How do you calculate the frequency of a coupled oscillator?

The frequency of a coupled oscillator can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the oscillator. This equation takes into account the natural frequency of the individual oscillators and how they are coupled together.

What happens to the frequency of a coupled oscillator when the coupling strength is increased?

When the coupling strength of a coupled oscillator is increased, the frequency of the oscillations also increases. This is because stronger coupling means the oscillators are more strongly connected and influence each other's motion more, resulting in a faster overall frequency.

Can a coupled oscillator have multiple frequencies?

Yes, a coupled oscillator can have multiple frequencies. This can occur when the individual oscillators have different natural frequencies or when the coupling strength is varied. In some cases, the oscillators may even synchronize to a single frequency, known as entrainment.