Stopping a potter's wheel with a wet rag (angular momentum and friction)

In summary, the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the potter's wheel and the wet rag is approximately 0.07656. This was found by using torque equations and setting the torque from friction equal to the torque needed to stop the wheel's rotation. The moment of inertia of the wheel was found to be 11.6 kg·m2, and the rotational acceleration needed to stop the wheel was calculated to be -0.72 rad/s2. By using these values and solving for the coefficient of friction, it was determined that the wheel and rag have an effective coefficient of kinetic friction of approximately 0.07656.
Number47

Homework Statement

A potter's wheel having a radius 0.55 m and a moment of inertia 11.6 kg·m2 is rotating freely at 55 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 8.0 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 66 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the wet rag.

Homework Equations

for a solid wheel I = (1/2)m*R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off converting 55rpm into 5.76 rad/s. I then divided 5.76rad/s by 8.00s to get the needed acceleration to stop the wheel and got -.72rad/s^2. Next i solved for the mass of the wheel by dividing the moment of inertia by .5*R^2 and got 7.018kg.

I figured by setting the force needed to stop the wheel equal to the force applied by the rag times the coefficient of friction i could divide the applied force on both sides and end up with the COF: m*a = F*u u=(m*a)/F u= (7.018kg*-.72rad/s^2)/66N = .07656

Physics news on Phys.org
if you're going to use tangential acceleration, you have to multiply the rotational acceleration by the radius
and
you assumed that the potter's wheel could be approximated by I = .5 MR^2 when you didn't need to.

This problem is much more easily solved by using torques.

Recall that torque = moment of inertia x rotational acceleration

t = I a
you found rotational acceleration successfully
Now you need to find the torque from friction

Recall that torque = radius x force x sin (angle between them)
t = r x F x sin 90
Friction = mu x normal force
= u N
so the torque t = r u N

now set torques equal, r u N = I a
and solve for u

you do have to memorize a couple of equations for torques, but once you do a lot of problems become a lot easier to figure out

1. How does a wet rag stop a potter's wheel?

When a wet rag is pressed against the rotating wheel, it creates a force of friction that acts against the wheel's angular momentum. This frictional force eventually brings the wheel to a stop.

2. Why does a wet rag work better than a dry rag?

The water in the wet rag adds lubrication between the rag and the wheel, reducing the amount of friction needed to stop the wheel. This allows the wet rag to stop the wheel more quickly than a dry rag.

3. Can any type of rag be used to stop a potter's wheel?

While any type of rag may be able to stop a potter's wheel, a wet rag is most effective due to the added lubrication from the water. Additionally, a thicker or more absorbent rag may work better because it can hold more water for lubrication.

4. Is there a limit to the size or speed of the potter's wheel that a wet rag can stop?

The effectiveness of a wet rag in stopping a potter's wheel depends on the strength of the person pressing the rag, as well as the amount of water and friction generated. Therefore, there is no inherent limit to the size or speed of the wheel that a wet rag can stop.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when stopping a potter's wheel with a wet rag?

It is important to be cautious when using a wet rag to stop a potter's wheel, as the wheel may stop abruptly and potentially cause injury. It is recommended to use proper hand placement and pressure to gradually slow down the wheel, and to be aware of any potential hazards in the surrounding area.