Can anyone recommend references for four particle production calculations?

• Thread starter kaksmet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of tree level calculations for the production of four final leptons, specifically in the context of kinematics and choosing appropriate variables and frames for an easier description and solving of phase-space integrals. The suggestion of using the zero width approximation and decaying the W particles independently is brought up, and Vanadium 50 refers to the Narrow Width Approximation as a potential resource for further information. However, it is noted that this may not fully address the issue at hand as it does not account for the interchangeability of the W and gamma particles.
kaksmet
Hey!

I am doing some tree level calculations of production of four final leptons and have some trouble with the kinematics. Does anybody know any good references where to read up a bit this topic and/or good variables/frames to use in order for the description to be as easy as possible? My problem is to choose a frame/variables where I can find a resonably simple description of the matrix element and also solve the phase-space integrals.

A typical process would be
e+ e- --> gamma --> W+ W- --> e+ e- anti-v v

Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just use the zero width approximation and do it in pieces? (i.e. decay the W's independently)

Vanadium 50 said:
Why not just use the zero width approximation and do it in pieces? (i.e. decay the W's independently)

Maybe.. can you direct me to any place where I can find out more about what that is?
Thanks

Vanadium 50 is talking about Narrow Width Approximation. Check for example arXiv:0807.4112v2. If you'll need any help with that just ask.

Navir said:
Vanadium 50 is talking about Narrow Width Approximation. Check for example arXiv:0807.4112v2. If you'll need any help with that just ask.

Thank you, will take a closer look at that but a first thought is that it cannot help me with the problem at hand because I want to be able to have a calculation which is valid also if one of the W is interchanged with the gamma.. and the gamma can not be on shell..

1. What is four particle production?

Four particle production is a process in which four particles are created in a collision or decay event. This can occur in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, or in natural phenomena, such as cosmic ray interactions.

2. How is four particle production studied?

Four particle production is studied using particle detectors, which record the properties and trajectories of the particles produced in a collision. These detectors can also measure energy and momentum, allowing for the identification of the particles involved.

3. What is the significance of four particle production in particle physics?

Four particle production is important in particle physics because it provides evidence for the existence of new particles and can help to test and validate theories, such as the Standard Model. It also allows for the study of fundamental interactions and the properties of matter at a microscopic level.

4. What are some potential applications of four particle production?

Four particle production has potential applications in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment. It can also be used to study the composition of cosmic rays and provide insights into the origins of the universe.

5. Are there any challenges in studying four particle production?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying four particle production. One major challenge is the complexity of the interactions involved, which can make it difficult to accurately measure the properties of the particles produced. Additionally, the high energies and short lifetimes of the particles make it necessary to use advanced technology and techniques to study them.