Are there washers or couplers available for motors with flat shafts?

In summary: Excactly!Flats on shafts can also be used in conjunction with 'Cotter Pins' like we used to have on all bicycle pedal cranks.
rafehi
Hi all,

I bought a small gearhead motor for a uni project, however the shaft is a strange shape. Round for the most part with a flat section. Not sure how I'd connect it to something? I could use glue I guess but would prefer a cleaner solution. Is there washers/couplers for these type of shafts that are easily available? Been searching online for a good hour with no luck.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rafehi said:
Hi all,

I bought a small gearhead motor for a uni project, however the shaft is a strange shape. Round for the most part with a flat section. Not sure how I'd connect it to something? I could use glue I guess but would prefer a cleaner solution. Is there washers/couplers for these type of shafts that are easily available? Been searching online for a good hour with no luck.

That is a very common shaft for a motor. The flat spot is to be used with a set-screw to hold the coupling in place whicle in motion.

You can find a coupling that will work at http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=14263762&SISRCH=1&SIS0NO=1490332&SIT4NO=92383665".

Last edited by a moderator:
Mech_Engineer said:
That is a very common shaft for a motor. The flat spot is to be used with a set-screw to hold the coupling in place whicle in motion.

You can find a coupling that will work at http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=14263762&SISRCH=1&SIS0NO=1490332&SIT4NO=92383665".

Most of those components are more expensive than the motor...just to clarify, the motor's shaft is only ~2mm. Also, I didn't see any thing there that wasn't fully round.

[PLAIN]http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_7971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you this- what are you trying to attach to the motor's shaft? Are you using a coupling? The hole the shaft goes in will not necessarily be D-shaped; as I said the flat spot is for a set-screw in whatever part you're attaching to the motor's shaft.

Good place to look for motor couplings from several companies: http://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/Suppliers/Motion_Controls/Power_Transmission_Mechanical/Flexible_Couplings

Mech_Engineer said:
Let me ask you this- what are you trying to attach to the motor's shaft? Are you using a coupling? The hole the shaft goes in will not necessarily be D-shaped; as I said the flat spot is for a set-screw in whatever part you're attaching to the motor's shaft.

Good place to look for motor couplings from several companies: http://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/Suppliers/Motion_Controls/Power_Transmission_Mechanical/Flexible_Couplings
Trying to attach it to a wooden axle. While I managed to get a D-ish shaped hole, the shaft grinded it round when the load got to heavy. Decided to just drill a flat screw through the axle onto the flat end of the shaft to keep it in place and it seems to be working well enough.

rafehi said:
Trying to attach it to a wooden axle. While I managed to get a D-ish shaped hole, the shaft grinded it round when the load got to heavy. Decided to just drill a flat screw through the axle onto the flat end of the shaft to keep it in place and it seems to be working well enough.

That's working because that's how it's supposed to be used. Making a D-shaped hole is expensive and unnecessary.

Mech_Engineer said:
That's working because that's how it's supposed to be used. Making a D-shaped hole is expensive and unnecessary.

Now I get what you were trying to say! So those small holes on the side of the couplers are for set (flat) screws?

Thanks for the help.

rafehi said:
Now I get what you were trying to say! So those small holes on the side of the couplers are for set (flat) screws?

Thanks for the help.

Excactly!

Flats on shafts can also be used in conjunction with 'Cotter Pins' like we used to have on all bicycle pedal cranks.

1. What is the output of an electric motor?

The output of an electric motor refers to the amount of mechanical energy that the motor can produce. It is typically measured in units of horsepower (hp) or watts (W).

2. How is the output of an electric motor calculated?

The output of an electric motor is calculated by multiplying the motor's torque (measured in Newton-meters, or Nm) by its rotational speed (measured in revolutions per minute, or rpm), and then dividing by a conversion factor. This conversion factor can vary depending on the specific units being used.

3. What factors can affect the output of an electric motor?

The output of an electric motor can be affected by several factors, including the motor's design and efficiency, the input voltage and current, the load being driven by the motor, and any external factors such as temperature or friction.

4. How can the output of an electric motor be increased?

The output of an electric motor can be increased by using a higher voltage or current input, improving the motor's design and efficiency, reducing the load on the motor, and minimizing any external factors that may be causing losses.

5. What is the difference between rated output and maximum output of an electric motor?

The rated output of an electric motor refers to the maximum continuous output that the motor can sustain without overheating or damaging its components. The maximum output, on the other hand, refers to the absolute peak output that the motor can produce for short periods of time, typically for brief bursts or during startup.