Dilution Help: Finding the volume of water needed

In summary, to acquire 60 mL of 0.1 mol Albumin, you will need 2.4 mL of the 2.5 mol stock solution. As for the amount of water needed, it is not possible to accurately calculate without more information, but a simplified approach would be to mix 2.4 mL of stock solution with 57.6 mL of water. Alternatively, the standard lab procedure would be to measure the volume of the diluted solution and fill it up to the desired final volume.
unixunited
The objective: Acquire 60 mL of 0.1 mol Albumin. The only Albumin solution available is a 2.5 mol stock solution.

1)How many milliliters of the stock solution will you need to make the desired amount of the 0.1 M solution?
I used the
Code:
C1 X V1 = C2 X V2
formula to calculate an answer of 2.4 mL

2)How many milliliters of water will be needed?
This is where I'm stuck, I am aware I need to find the mass percent of water or something, but this is the only information given to me and my instructor has not given any examples.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplest thinking yields V1 + V2 = 60 mL.

This is not 100% true, as volumes are not additive and final volume can be different from sum of volumes mixed, but as a first approximation, especially when solutions are not too concentrated, it works. So you can either use simplified approach using equation above, or answer that there is not enough information to precisely solve the question (you would need densities of all three solutions - water, 2.5 mol stock, 0.2 mol).

This is the reason why in lab you will never mix two precalculated volumes, standard procedure is to measure volume of the diluted solution and fill it up to desired final volume.

--

Thanks for the detailed advice, it was a great help!

What is dilution and why is it important in scientific research?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a solution by adding more solvent, typically water. It is important in scientific research because it allows for the creation of solutions with specific concentrations, which is necessary for accurate and reproducible experiments.

What information is needed to calculate the volume of water needed for dilution?

To calculate the volume of water needed for dilution, the initial concentration of the solution, desired final concentration, and the volume of the initial solution must be known. These values can then be used in the dilution equation (C1V1 = C2V2) to solve for the volume of water needed.

What is the dilution equation and how is it used?

The dilution equation (C1V1 = C2V2) is used to calculate the volume of water needed for dilution. C1 and V1 represent the initial concentration and volume of the solution, while C2 and V2 represent the desired final concentration and volume. By rearranging the equation, the volume of water (V2) can be solved for.

Can the dilution equation be used for any type of solution?

Yes, the dilution equation can be used for any type of solution as long as the initial and final concentrations are known. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes that the solute is evenly distributed throughout the solution and does not take into account any potential interactions between the solute and solvent.

Are there any limitations to using the dilution equation?

The dilution equation may not accurately reflect the actual concentration of the diluted solution if there are any interactions between the solute and solvent. It also assumes that the solute is evenly distributed throughout the solution, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the equation should not be used for highly concentrated solutions, as it may result in significant errors in the final concentration.