3 year University Msci Physics

In summary, the speaker expresses their love for physics and their past academic success in the subject. However, they are currently feeling inadequate due to the difficulty of the material and the apparent intelligence of their classmates. They also mention struggling with retaining information and feeling pressure to constantly work hard. They question their own intelligence and ask for advice on how to improve their understanding of physics in the long term. Despite these challenges, they still have a passion for the subject and prioritize understanding over achieving high grades.
AnonStudent99
Title should be 3rd year: sorry.

Intro

I really love physics, and even that math involved. 1st year I got first in my year, and did really well in 2nd year also.

Lately however I have been feeling as if I don't know enough and feel like I am not good enough. In a lot of the lectures I can't follow what's going on- we don't have maths classes so everything that was "learnt" in 1st and 2nd year is assumed or we have to figure it out ourselves. I know a lot of students would feel the same in terms of the step up in terms of difficultly of material, but the classes have gotten smaller and now more than ever its apparent how smart some particular people in my class are- and feel like I should know more.

Also I spend hours doing assignments which everyone in the class thinks are hard, but I am fairly certain I put a lot more work in and end up with nearly the same marks. (either that's representive of how easy the lecturer marks them or if they all work in groups on assignments- which I do not).

I choose physics at uni because I love it, but my "spark" for enjoying it came late in high school, so part of me thinks I didnt pick up enough. Either simple formulas or concepts. Similarly I feel like the stuff I've worked hard to learn for 1st and 2nd year isn't in there well enough, despite working hard and doing well. I feel like my grades arent really representitive of me as an everyday person- and definitely couldn't get as good grades if I took the test again.

People have always seen me as smart or intelligent or whatever but really I am pretty much average if not below: I just work hard. But like I said, coming upto half way through 3rd year I feel as if I am not smart enough depsite what my "image" may be.I guess all that is a preamble and my real questions are:

How much should I know off hand?
Is quick thinking important? ( I know its not REALLY important, but is it a natural thing, or does it come with experience?)
General study advice to make important things stick in long term memory?

and of course anything you feel is important to add.

I think its also important to note, I am not even faintly starting to hate physics, I still love it. I am just getting a bit frustrated as the incomprehensible lectures pile up as well as mountains of textbooks which don't make things much clearer. I am also aware that I shouldn't burn myself out with too much work everyday, so I try to keep a healthy balance of assignments/study/lectures and tv/exercise/friends etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also not trying to aim for any particular grade- as long as I understand the material and can use it in real life, I am happy. Thankyou

1. What is the difference between a regular 3-year university degree and a 3-year Msci in Physics?

A 3-year university degree typically offers a general education in a specific field, while a 3-year Msci in Physics is a more specialized degree that focuses specifically on physics. The Msci also includes more advanced courses and often involves a research component.

2. Can I pursue a career in physics with just a 3-year Msci degree?

Yes, a 3-year Msci in Physics is a valuable degree that can lead to various career paths in the field of physics. However, some specialized positions may require further education or experience.

3. Is a 3-year Msci in Physics a good choice for those interested in research?

Yes, a 3-year Msci in Physics is an excellent choice for those interested in research. This degree provides a strong foundation in physics principles and often includes a research project, preparing students for future research opportunities.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites for a 3-year Msci in Physics?

Each university may have different prerequisites for their Msci in Physics program. However, generally, students are expected to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a passion for scientific inquiry.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics within a 3-year Msci program?

In most cases, yes. Many universities offer different specialization tracks within their 3-year Msci in Physics program, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, or particle physics. Students can choose to focus on a specific area of interest within the broader field of physics.