Scope for pursuing masters in physics after doing engineering.

In summary: The summary is: "In summary, the speaker is a first year engineering student with a dual degree in mechanical engineering and biology. They are concerned about the possibility of pursuing a masters in physics in the US, as most top schools do not offer a terminal masters degree and instead admit students into PhD programs based on various factors. They also mention that nuclear engineering may have more physics than electrical engineering, and that engineering physics may be equivalent to applied math."
siddharth5129
Hey . I am a first year engineering student at BITS pilani , India. I've had this gnawing concern for a while about the scope for pursuing a masters in physics(Ideally , in the states) with a B.E in mechanical engineering(or electrical, haven't decided on my engineering stream yet) and an MSC in biology ( I am doing a dual degree). Surely universities in the US would grant admissions to students with a pure physics undergraduate degree in preference to someone like me .Or is that completely untrue. I'd be really grateful for any sort of clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
EE would help the most. Especially since you do more physics in EE than any other engineering degree other than Engineering Physics.

viscousflow said:
EE would help the most. Especially since you do more physics in EE than any other engineering degree other than Engineering Physics.

hmm I would think nuclear engineering would probably have more physics than EE, but they don't offer that at most universities. We don't have engineering physics however, so I would assume that would be equivalent to applied math in contrast to pure math, which would represent physics.

@siddharth5129

Most top schools in US do not offer a terminal Master's degree in Physics. They tend to admit students in PhD Physics programmes based on undergrad GPA, general and subject GRE score, recommendations and research experience. The first two years will mostly consist of advanced Physics courses followed by the qualifier exams.

Hello there,

Firstly, I commend you for thinking ahead and considering the potential scope for pursuing a masters in physics after completing your engineering degree. It shows a strong interest and passion for the subject.

To answer your question, pursuing a masters in physics after completing an engineering degree is definitely possible. In fact, it can even be beneficial as it allows you to have a unique and diverse skill set, combining the analytical and technical skills from engineering with the theoretical and mathematical skills from physics.

Universities in the US do consider students with diverse backgrounds for their masters programs, and having a background in both engineering and biology can make you stand out as a candidate. It is not necessary to have a pure physics undergraduate degree to be considered for a masters in physics program. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics to be successful in the program.

Additionally, your research experience in biology can also be valuable in a physics program, as many areas of physics, such as biophysics, require interdisciplinary knowledge. It is important to highlight your research experience and how it has prepared you for a masters in physics in your application.

In conclusion, pursuing a masters in physics after completing an engineering degree is definitely possible and can provide a unique and valuable skill set. I encourage you to continue exploring your interests and passions in both engineering and physics, and to apply to programs that align with your goals and strengths. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a masters in physics after completing engineering?

Pursuing a masters in physics after engineering can provide a deeper understanding of fundamental principles and concepts in physics, as well as the application of these principles to real-world problems. It can also open up career opportunities in research, teaching, and other industries that require a strong background in both engineering and physics.

2. Is it possible to pursue a masters in physics after completing engineering in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a masters in physics after completing engineering in a different field. Many universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses to help students from different engineering backgrounds to transition into a masters program in physics.

3. What are the career prospects after completing a masters in physics after engineering?

Completing a masters in physics after engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities in research, teaching, and industries such as aerospace, defense, and renewable energy. It can also open up opportunities for further studies in fields like astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science.

4. How long does it take to complete a masters in physics after engineering?

The duration of a masters program in physics after engineering can vary depending on the university and the student's background. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time program, and 2-3 years for part-time programs.

5. What are the admission requirements for a masters in physics after engineering?

The admission requirements for a masters in physics after engineering can vary depending on the university. However, most programs require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, as well as a strong background in mathematics and physics. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.