Understanding Dynamics: Solving a Tricky Example

• Thread starter robcowlam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the person is asking for help with a dynamics question and is struggling to understand the final answer in a worked example. Someone named robcowlam explains that the final answer is the result of definite integration and provides the correct equation. The person thanks them for their help.
robcowlam
HI guys,

Im having some trouble with a dynamics question, I am only looking at a worked example however I can't see where the final answer comes from.
The problem is sample 3/5 on http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~marghitu/MECH2110/Dynamics/D2_1_examples.pdf
I follow the working until the line after "which becomes" I cannot see why the integral becomes
F/k [sin(kt)+Uk(cos kt - 1)] - mgt = mv
rather than:

F/k [sin(kt)+Uk(cos kt)] - mgt = mv

Its probably just something small but I can't figure it out,
Can anybody help me out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
robcowlam: That is normal calculus (definite integration). Thus, integral[-mu*F*sin(k*t)*dt], integrated from t = 0 to t, is equal to -mu*(F/k)*{-cos(k*t) - [-cos(k*0)]} = -mu*(F/k)*[-cos(k*t) - (-1)] = mu*(F/k)*[cos(k*t) - 1], not mu*(F/k)*cos(k*t).

Ah yes I see it now, I wasn't evaluating the integral, thanks for your help.

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause that motion. It involves studying how objects move and change over time.

2. What are some examples of dynamics?

Some examples of dynamics include the motion of a car on a highway, the flight of a bird, the movement of planets in our solar system, and the behavior of atoms in a chemical reaction.

3. What are the main principles of dynamics?

The main principles of dynamics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, and that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

4. How is dynamics used in real life?

Dynamics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing and analyzing structures like bridges and buildings, predicting the motion of objects in sports or amusement park rides, and understanding the behavior of fluids in weather patterns and engineering systems.

5. Why is dynamics important to study?

Studying dynamics allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world. It also helps us develop new technologies and improve existing ones by applying the principles of dynamics to design and optimize their performance.