Angular acceleration of dipole in uniform electric field

In summary, the problem involves calculating the moment of inertia for a system with a massless rod and two point particles. The correct formula for moment of inertia is given, and the need for the two point particles to be considered is emphasized. The proposed solution using the formula is questioned for accuracy.
cupid.callin
1. The problem statement, and my attempt at a solution is given in pic

Please help me.

Attachments

• Q and A.jpg
    Q and A.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,070
Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, you're moment of inertia is incorrect. The rod is massless and therefore does not contribute to the moment of inertia. Your moment of inertia comes from the two massive point particles a distance, L/2, away from the center of rotation.

G01 said:
At first glance, you're moment of inertia is incorrect. The rod is massless and therefore does not contribute to the moment of inertia. Your moment of inertia comes from the two massive point particles a distance, L/2, away from the center of rotation.

Yes, so ...

moment of inertia, I = [tex]\sum m_ir_i^2[/tex] = [tex]\frac{ML^2}{4} \ + \ \frac{ML^2}{4}[/tex]

So [tex]I \ = \ \frac{ML^2}{2}[/tex]

Is that wrong?

someone help please

The problem statement and solution you have provided are not enough for me to fully understand the context and provide a response. Can you please provide more information such as the specific variables, equations, and conditions given in the problem? Additionally, it would be helpful to know what you have attempted so far and what specifically you need help with. Without this information, it is difficult for me to provide a meaningful response.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How is angular acceleration related to dipole motion?

In the context of a uniform electric field, the angular acceleration of a dipole is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the dipole moment of the object.

How does a uniform electric field affect the angular acceleration of a dipole?

A uniform electric field exerts a torque on a dipole, causing it to rotate. This torque leads to an angular acceleration of the dipole in the direction of the torque.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration in a uniform electric field?

The formula for angular acceleration in a uniform electric field is given by α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque applied by the electric field, and I is the moment of inertia of the dipole.

What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a dipole in a uniform electric field?

The angular acceleration of a dipole in a uniform electric field can be affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, the dipole moment of the object, and the moment of inertia of the dipole.