Deal or No Deal - Odds of a better deal and most likely deal?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
In summary, the game "Deal or No Deal" involves choosing cases with various values, and the banker's offers always equal the average value of the remaining cases. If there are 5 cases remaining, the average value would be $12,003.002. If played another round, the odds of receiving a better offer would be 50-50. However, the decision to accept an offer should not solely be based on expected earnings, but also on personal goals and needs.
moonman239
Deal or No Deal -- Odds of a better deal and most likely deal?

Homework Statement

Suppose I am playing "Deal or No Deal." Assume that the banker's offers always equal the average value of the remaining cases. I have 5 cases remaining. The values of the cases are as follows:

$.01
$5
$10
$50,000
$100,000

thus resulting in an average of $12,003.002. If played another round, I'd have to choose 4 cases. What are the odds of getting a better offer on the next round? What offer would I be most likely to receive?

2. The attempt at a solution

First, I would figure out how many cases had values that were below the median (which is $50, in this case). Call that number x. Then the odds of a better deal on the next round equals x / n! * 4, where n is the number of remaining cases.

As for my other question, I don't know the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

moonman239 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose I am playing "Deal or No Deal." Assume that the banker's offers always equal the average value of the remaining cases. I have 5 cases remaining. The values of the cases are as follows:

$.01
$5
$10
$50,000
$100,000

thus resulting in an average of $12,003.002. If played another round, I'd have to choose 4 cases. What are the odds of getting a better offer on the next round? What offer would I be most likely to receive?

2. The attempt at a solution

First, I would figure out how many cases had values that were below the median (which is $50, in this case). Call that number x. Then the odds of a better deal on the next round equals x / n! * 4, where n is the number of remaining cases.

As for my other question, I don't know the answer.

Well, the average is also the expectation.
That means that if you play a zillion games, you will on average earn $12,003.002.
In other words, to optimize your earnings it doesn't matter what you do.

What are the odds to receive a better offer?
Well, that would be 50-50, because that is what an expectation means.

If you want to play an interesting game, you shouldn't worry about your expected earnings.
You should worry about what you want to earn.

So if you would need for instance $20,000 to buy a house, you can play for that.
You wouldn't care whether you would $5 or $10 or zip, because those are all equally worthless.
And also, you wouldn't accept the offer, because it simply isn't enough to buy your house.
So you'd bet on the less good chance to earn what you really want.

If, after the first round one of the worthless prices is taken away, you'll get an offer of about $38,000 and you should take that right away, because it pays for your house!

You shouldn't go for the $100,000, because you don't need it to pay for your house.

Concluding, I'd say that you would assign different values to the prices than the actual monetary value, because of what you can or cannot do with it.

1. What are the odds of getting a better deal on "Deal or No Deal"?

The odds of getting a better deal on "Deal or No Deal" depend on a variety of factors, including the contestant's choices and the banker's offers. The odds cannot be accurately determined as they are constantly changing throughout the game.

2. Is there a strategy to increase the chances of getting a better deal?

While there is no guaranteed strategy to increase the chances of getting a better deal, some contestants may choose to play more aggressively and take risks, while others may play more conservatively and accept smaller deals. It ultimately depends on the individual's risk tolerance and decision-making skills.

3. What is the most likely deal that a contestant will receive?

The most likely deal that a contestant will receive on "Deal or No Deal" is difficult to determine, as it varies greatly depending on the contestant's choices and the banker's offers. However, statistically speaking, most contestants tend to accept deals that are closer to the average value of the remaining cases.

4. Are the odds of getting a better deal affected by the number of cases left to open?

The number of cases left to open does not directly affect the odds of getting a better deal. However, as the number of cases decreases, the chances of opening a high-value case also decrease, which may impact the banker's offers and the contestant's decisions.

5. How do the odds of getting a better deal change throughout the game?

The odds of getting a better deal constantly change throughout the game as the number of cases decreases and the remaining values become more clear. As the game progresses, the offers from the banker may increase or decrease depending on the perceived value of the remaining cases. It is ultimately up to the contestant to decide when to accept a deal or continue playing for a potentially better offer.