Creating MadGraph 5 model folders

• Thread starter chrispb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, The conversation is about using SoftSUSY 3.1.7 to create a spectrum and input it into MadGraph 5 to compute cross sections. However, there is an issue with the param_card.dat file, which is no longer being used by MG5. The speaker is looking for advice on how to convert the model into an MG-compatible model folder without manually inputting each number. MG4 requires g77, which is not compatible with the latest version of gcc. The author of MadGraph suggests using the param_cards in MG5 just like in MG4 and using v. 1.4.x to use an SLHAI-compatible card with the default UFO mssm model. They also provide a link
chrispb
I used SoftSUSY 3.1.7 to create a spectrum that I'd now like to input into MadGraph 5 to compute cross sections with. However, the MadGraph calc that I used to use (on their webpage) is outputting me a param_card.dat file, which MG5 no longer appears to use as an input in the model folder. I want to turn this model (which is just MSSM at a specific point in parameter space, RG evolved) into a MG-compatible model folder without inputting each and every number by hand. Does anyone have some advice as to how I could go about doing this, or at least making MG5 play nicely with the param_card.dat file? MG4 requires g77, which seems to not be compatible with the latest version of gcc; otherwise I'd just run that instead. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chrispb, I am one of the MadGraph authors. You use param_cards in MG5 just as in MG4: Generate the process you are interested in, put the card in the Cards directory (or if you do it online, just upload the card), and run. Note that you need v. 1.4.x in order to use an SLHAI-compatible card with the default UFO mssm model.

Please note that in order for us to directly receive your questions regarding MadGraph, please post your questions at https://answers.launchpad.net/madgraph5 instead of Physicsforums.

All the best,
Johan

1. What is MadGraph 5 and why is it used for creating model folders?

MadGraph 5 is a computer program used for simulating particle collisions in high-energy physics. It is commonly used by scientists to generate Feynman diagrams and calculate cross-sections for particle physics experiments. It is also used for creating model folders which contain all the necessary information for simulating new physics models.

2. How do I create a new model folder in MadGraph 5?

To create a new model folder in MadGraph 5, you will need to have a basic understanding of the syntax and format used in the program. You can start by reading the user manual or watching tutorials online. Once you have a grasp of the basics, you can use the "import model" command to create a new model folder and specify the relevant parameters.

3. What is the purpose of a model folder in MadGraph 5?

A model folder in MadGraph 5 serves as a repository for all the necessary information and files related to a specific physics model. This includes the model's Lagrangian, particle content, parameter definitions, and other relevant information. It allows the program to accurately simulate the behavior of the proposed physics model in particle collisions.

4. Can I use existing model folders in MadGraph 5 or do I have to create my own?

You can use existing model folders in MadGraph 5 if they are available and compatible with your specific research needs. However, if you are proposing a new physics model, you will most likely need to create your own model folder with all the necessary information and files. This ensures that your simulation accurately reflects the behavior of your proposed model.

5. Are there any resources or guidelines for creating MadGraph 5 model folders?

Yes, there are various resources and guidelines available for creating MadGraph 5 model folders. These include the user manual, online tutorials, and forums where users can ask for help and guidance. It is also recommended to consult with other scientists or experts in the field to ensure the accuracy and validity of your model folder.