Machine Shop Project Ideas - Get Creative!

In summary, the person is seeking ideas for a machine shop project for their summer class. They mention being uncreative and all of their ideas being too easy or small. Another person suggests making a chaotic motion generator or a set of tuning forks. The original person shares that their past machine shop project was a machine vise that required various machining skills. They do not have the plans for it but suggest designing it oneself.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi Guys,

I'm taking a machine shop class this summer, and need a project for the next month.

Unfortunately, I've been horribly uncreative this summer and am out of ideas. (All of my ideas are too easy or too small. Ex. Spring loaded guitar capo, some parts for the lab...)

Anyone have any cool ideas or anything you've built with a mill or a lathe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some chaotic motion generator, like a double pendulum or something a little more complicated.

Make a set of tuning forks! That would probably be more difficult than you would think.

G01 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm taking a machine shop class this summer, and need a project for the next month.

Unfortunately, I've been horribly uncreative this summer and am out of ideas. (All of my ideas are too easy or too small. Ex. Spring loaded guitar capo, some parts for the lab...)

Anyone have any cool ideas or anything you've built with a mill or a lathe?
When I took machine shop our project was assigned and the same for everyone. We had to make a little machine vise. On the mill the vice required the ability to square up stock, accurately locate and drill holes, and accurately machine an angle. On the lathe it required the skills of turning stock to diameter with a good finish, and, also the ability to cut a screw thread. In other words, it was a demonstration of all the basic machining skills.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the plans, and I don't see any online. You'd have to design it yourself.

Hi there!

I understand the importance of creativity in problem-solving and project development. Here are a few ideas that may spark your creativity for your machine shop project:

1. Create a wind turbine using the mill and lathe to generate electricity. This project will not only test your machining skills but also your knowledge of renewable energy.

2. Design and build a mini CNC machine using the mill and lathe. This project will challenge your programming skills and give you a deeper understanding of how these machines work.

3. Build a working model of a steam engine using the mill and lathe. This project will allow you to explore the principles of thermodynamics and mechanics while also honing your machining skills.

4. Use the mill and lathe to create a custom tool or part for a specific task or project. This will require you to think critically about the specifications and functionality of the tool and how to best achieve it through machining.

5. Create a puzzle or game using the mill and lathe, such as a maze or a Rubik's cube. This project will not only test your machining skills but also your ability to think creatively and design a functional and entertaining product.

I hope these ideas inspire you to think outside the box and come up with a unique and challenging project for your machine shop class. Good luck!

1. What types of projects can be done in a machine shop?

There are a wide variety of projects that can be done in a machine shop, including metalworking, woodworking, plastic fabrication, and prototyping. Some examples of specific projects include creating tools and parts for machinery, building furniture, and creating custom designs.

2. Do I need specialized training to use a machine shop?

Yes, it is important to receive proper training and education before using a machine shop. This will ensure your safety and the quality of your projects. Many community colleges and technical schools offer courses in machine shop technology.

3. What tools are typically found in a machine shop?

A machine shop may have a variety of tools, depending on its specific focus. Some common tools include lathes, milling machines, saws, drill presses, and grinders. Other specialized tools may also be found, such as laser cutters, 3D printers, and welding equipment.

4. Can I design my own projects for a machine shop?

Yes, one of the benefits of having access to a machine shop is the ability to design and create your own projects. With proper training and knowledge of the equipment, you can bring your ideas to life and create unique and personalized projects.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working in a machine shop?

Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when working in a machine shop. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper procedures for each machine, and being aware of potential hazards. It is also important to receive proper training and to never operate machinery without supervision or authorization.