Needle in Die Breaking: Causes & Fixes

• Thread starter Andreii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Needle
In summary, the cause of the needle breaking in the die was due to too small of a deviation between the wire and tool for cold heading. This was resolved by adjusting the amount of space between the wire and tool, allowing the wire to move freely and preventing breakages. This solution can be useful for others experiencing the same problem.
Andreii
Hola
Regarding the cold heading process I have a question and would appreciate an answer a lot. The wire, from which is bolt made, is alloy-steel but the machine is old. I have been seeing many times breakage of needle inside the die and I figured out what was the cause, I even fixed it on my own but now I need some deeper understanding why exactly this thing, which I will mentoin in my next sentence, caused the problem and how come it worked what has been implemented - I didn't believe I will solve the problem in that way.
The cause was too small deviation (deviation = ''amount'' of empty air) between wire and tool for cold heading. There was not enough air and the cutted part of wire (knife has nothing to do with my question) probably couldn't move ''freely''. So what I did was just adjustment of this deviation (empty air) between wire and cold heading tool. Now the needle doesn't break anymore. However I would need some deeper understanding why was this cause, why needle in the die has been breaking and how come that this adjustment actually fixed the problem?

Hopefully this post could be also suggestion what to do (though this suggestion could be obvious for some people) if anyone else will have the same problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The issue you encountered is a common problem when working with cold heading machines. The wire needs to have a certain amount of space between it and the tool in order for the cutting process to be successful. If there is too little space between the wire and the tool, the wire cannot move freely and the needle in the die will be subject to a significant amount of stress. This can cause the needle to break. The solution that you implemented was to adjust the amount of space between the wire and the tool. This allowed the wire to move freely and prevented the needle from breaking. The reasoning behind this solution is that by increasing the amount of space between the wire and the tool, the wire can move freely without being subjected to unnecessary stress. This reduces the risk of the needle breaking due to excess strain. It is important to note that when adjusting the space between the wire and the tool, care must be taken to ensure that the adjustment is not too extreme. If the space is too large, the wire may not be cut correctly, which could lead to poor quality results.

1. What are the common causes of needle breakage in dies?

The most common causes of needle breakage in dies are excessive force or pressure, improper alignment of the needle and die, wear and tear of the needle or die, and using a faulty or damaged needle.

2. How can I prevent needle breakage in my die?

To prevent needle breakage, it is important to use the correct needle size and type for the material being worked with. Proper alignment of the needle and die, as well as regularly checking for wear and tear, can also help prevent breakage. Avoid applying excessive force or pressure, and replace any damaged or faulty needles immediately.

3. What are the signs of a damaged needle or die?

Signs of a damaged needle or die include visible wear and tear, such as dents or scratches, difficulty in threading the needle, and increased resistance when using the needle. Additionally, if the needle keeps breaking or produces poor quality results, it may be a sign of a damaged needle or die.

4. Can a needle breakage be fixed?

In most cases, a needle breakage can be fixed by replacing the broken needle and making sure the die and needle are properly aligned. However, if the cause of the breakage is due to a faulty or damaged die, it may need to be replaced.

5. How can I troubleshoot needle breakage in my die?

To troubleshoot needle breakage, start by checking for any visible damage or wear and tear on the needle and die. Make sure the needle and die are properly aligned and that the correct needle size and type is being used. If the breakage continues, consult the manufacturer or a professional for further assistance.