Current to Voltage Converter Circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving deriving a formula (a) and getting a hint for solving another part (b). The participants discuss using mesh analysis and the concept of current loops to solve the problem, eventually arriving at the correct solution.
p75213

Homework Statement

Refer Attachment.
I can derive a) easily enough but am stuck on b). Can somebody give a hint to put me on the right track?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

R3*V0/(R3+R2)=-isR1
V0/is=-R1((R3+R2)/R3)
V0/is=-R1(1+R2/R3)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 10 19.59.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 10 19.59.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You know that the voltage on the neg input is zero (because there's only real negative feedback and the positive input is grounded) and you know there's no current entering the negative input (because op amp inputs are high impedance). So there are two current loops.

I think I need more hints. I tried solving with mesh analysis.
As a result I get
i2R2=-isR1
i2=-isR1/R2
substitute i2 into V0=-R3(is-i2)
V0/is=-R3(1+R1/R2)

I can't see the forest for the trees. Or is it the other way around?

There are two components to the current that flows through R2 to ground: that from the O/P of the amplifier via R3, plus is via R1.

I got it - at last.

is+(V0--isR1)/R3=(-isR1)/R2
isR3R2+R2V0+isR1R2=-isR1R3
isR3R2+isR1R2+isR1R3=-R2V0
is(R3R2+R1R2+R1R3)=-R2V0
V0/is=(R3R2+R1R2+R1R3)/-R2
V0/is=-R3-R1-R1R3/R2
V0/is=-R1(1+R3/R1+R3/R2)

I couldn't see the trees for the forest.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 10 19.59.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 10 19.59.gif
    16 KB · Views: 506

1. What is a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit?

A Current to Voltage Converter Circuit, also known as a transimpedance amplifier, is an electronic circuit that converts an input current into an output voltage. It is commonly used in applications where the current needs to be measured or controlled, such as in sensors and photodiodes.

2. How does a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit work?

A Current to Voltage Converter Circuit consists of an operational amplifier and a feedback resistor. The input current is passed through the feedback resistor, which creates a voltage drop. This voltage is then amplified by the operational amplifier to produce the desired output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit?

One of the main advantages is its ability to accurately measure small currents. It also has a high input impedance, meaning it does not draw significant current from the input source. Additionally, it can be configured to provide both positive and negative output voltages.

4. What are the applications of a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit?

Current to Voltage Converter Circuits are commonly used in a variety of applications, including photodiode amplification, current sensing, and strain gauge amplification. They are also used in medical devices, industrial control systems, and laboratory equipment.

5. How can I design a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit?

The design of a Current to Voltage Converter Circuit depends on the specific application and input current range. It typically involves selecting the appropriate operational amplifier and feedback resistor values to achieve the desired output voltage range and accuracy. Design guides and online calculators are available to assist with the design process.