Definition of a group with redundancy?

In summary, a group is a non-empty set with a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms. The set must be closed under the binary operation, which is usually defined as a function, but some authors may include this property as an axiom for simplicity.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I would define a group as follows:

A group consists of a non-empty set G together with a binary operation (say, *) on G such that the following axioms hold:

G1...G2...G3...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a trivial question, but doesn't a binary operation on a set (here G) necesserily imply that the set is closed under that binary operation? The only reason i ask is that many of the definitions of groups I have come across include both that * is a binary operation under which G is closed. Isn't this redundant?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how you define a binary operation. I would define it as a function

[tex]*:G\times G\rightarrow G[/tex]

If you define a binary operation like that, then the property you mention is indeed redundant.

I guess, that many authors include that property because most readers aren't yet ready to view a binary operation as a function. So to make it easy on them, they include the axiom that G is closed.

1. What is the definition of a group with redundancy?

A group with redundancy is a collection of individuals or objects that have a similar purpose or function, with some overlap or duplication in their roles or capabilities. This redundancy allows for backup or alternative options in case of failure or loss within the group.

2. What are some examples of groups with redundancy?

Some examples of groups with redundancy include a team of firefighters, a computer network with multiple servers, an airplane with multiple engines, and a company with multiple departments performing similar tasks.

3. What are the benefits of having redundancy in a group?

Having redundancy in a group can provide increased reliability, flexibility, and resilience. It allows for backup options in case of failure or loss, and can also distribute workload and prevent over-reliance on a single individual or component.

4. How is redundancy different from diversity in a group?

While redundancy refers to overlapping or duplicated roles or capabilities within a group, diversity refers to differences in terms of skills, backgrounds, perspectives, etc. Redundancy can provide backup options, while diversity can bring a variety of ideas and approaches to problem-solving.

5. How can redundancy be managed effectively in a group?

Effective management of redundancy in a group involves identifying critical functions and roles, ensuring proper distribution of workload, and regularly assessing and updating backup plans. Communication and coordination among group members is also crucial in utilizing redundancy effectively.