Materials for a transportation design project

In summary, the conversation involved a student studying transportation design at university who has been given a project to design a lightweight family vehicle. The project requires the use of new materials that are lighter but still maintain the safety of the passengers. The student is entering a competition and can use exotic materials, within reason. They are specifically interested in carbon nanotubes but need more information on their properties and potential uses. They are also open to other material suggestions, but must ensure the chosen materials are not too exotic or brittle. For the chassis, only metals are being considered.
DangDangDingy
Hi all, I'm a student studying transportation design at university and I've been given a project where i need to design a lightweight family vehicle. We've been told to especially look deep into new materials that are lighter than the materials currently in use that don't compromise the safety of the passengers. I am entering in a competition with this concept project and the end product won't be made, so costing isn't of the utmost importance. I'm designing a high end family vehicle for 2013 so materials can be as exotic as i'd like, within reason. I need to find alternate materials that the chassis and other components would be made from that maintain the vehicles integrity.

I've been looking into carbon nanotubes especially but don't know enough about them, and could do with a little rundown on how they work, how they are used, what they can be used to create and other general information regarding their properties.

Any guidance or ideas on materials at all since i know so little about materials i could use are much appreciated, thanks =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
As exotic as i'd like, within reason => This excludes nanotubes. Unavailable, probably brittle.

For a chassis, I'd consider only metals.

1. What types of materials are commonly used in transportation design projects?

There are many different materials that can be used in transportation design projects, but some of the most commonly used include metals (such as steel, aluminum, and titanium), plastics, composites (such as carbon fiber), and glass. Each material has its own unique properties and is chosen based on its specific application within the design.

2. How do materials impact the performance and functionality of a transportation design?

Materials play a crucial role in the performance and functionality of a transportation design. For example, the weight and strength of materials can affect the speed and efficiency of a vehicle, while the durability and resistance to wear and tear can impact its longevity and maintenance needs. Materials also determine the overall design and aesthetics of the transportation project.

3. What are the key considerations when selecting materials for a transportation design project?

When selecting materials for a transportation design project, it is important to consider factors such as cost, availability, durability, weight, strength, and compatibility with other materials. It is also important to consider the specific requirements and regulations for the type of transportation being designed, as well as any environmental concerns or restrictions.

4. How are new and innovative materials being incorporated into transportation design projects?

In recent years, there has been a growing focus on incorporating new and innovative materials into transportation design projects. This can include the use of sustainable materials, such as bio-based plastics or recycled materials, as well as advanced materials, such as nanomaterials or shape memory alloys. These materials offer unique properties and potential for improving the performance and sustainability of transportation designs.

5. How does the choice of materials impact the overall cost of a transportation design project?

The choice of materials can have a significant impact on the overall cost of a transportation design project. More expensive materials, such as carbon fiber, may offer superior performance and functionality, but they also come at a higher cost. On the other hand, cheaper materials may be more readily available and cost-effective, but they may not offer the same level of performance or durability. Therefore, careful consideration and analysis of the materials is necessary to balance cost and performance in transportation design projects.