Euclidian space definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a scalar product over a vectorial space and its relationship to euclidean spaces. The person asking the question is unsure if their understanding of the definition is correct and is looking for clarification. The conversation also touches on the fact that all finite dimensional vector spaces can be given an inner product and are therefore considered euclidean.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My linear algebra book seems to give a different definition than Mathworld.com so I'll state it.

A scalar product over a vectorial space V is a vectorial real function that to every pair of vectors u, v, associates a real number noted (u|v) satisfying the 4 axioms...

A vectorial space of finite dimension with a scalar product is called a euclidean space.

My question is the following: I don't like how that definition sounds. Is it equivalent to: "Let V be a vectorial space of finite dimension. If there exists a scalar product function over V, then V is called a euclidean space." ?

P.S. does anyone knows a good website that teaches about diagonalisation of hermitian matrixes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly don't understand your question.

You are asking if
"A vectorial space of finite dimension with a scalar product is called a euclidean space."
and "Let V be a vectorial space of finite dimension. If there exists a scalar product function over V, then V is called a euclidean space."
are equivalent. I don't see any difference at all!

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see any difference at all!

Thanks for answering my question. :smile:

I found the definitious ambigouous because for a scalar product function to exist, you have to define it first. So according to their definition, a vectorial space with no defined scalar product function is not a euclidian space. But as soon as you do define one, it becomes a euclidean space. My definition says: if a vectorial space is such that a scalar product function CAN be defined (i.e. "potentially"), then it is a euclidean space. That's how I saw it.

I'm kind of realising my definition is no better they theirs now... so let me reformulate my question: "What does the definition says?" Does it say that if there is a defined scalar product function over V then V is a euclidean space, or does it say that if a scalar product function over V can be defined, then V is a euclidean space?

Last edited:
You're just coming across common abuse of notations. A euclidean space is one possessing a euclidean norm/inner product. However you do not *have* to use the inner product. R^2 is eulicdean whether or not you use the inner product.

Ah! now I see what the difference is. In a finite dimensional vector space you can show that every possible inner product is equivalent to a "dot product" defined using a particular basis. (That is, given a basis, to find the "dot product" of u and v, write each as a linear combination of the basis vectors:u= a1e1+ a2e2+... , v= b1e1+ b2e2+... . The "dot product" is a1b1+ a2b2+ ... . The "Gram-Schmidt" orthogonalization process essentiall show that, given any inner product, there exist a basis so that inner product is given by the basis.) I.e. all inner products are equivalent so it really doesn't matter which you use. Of course, every finite dimensional vector space can be given an inner product so, in that sense, every finite dimensional vector space is Euclidean!

HallsofIvy said:
every finite dimensional vector space is Euclidean!
Every finite dimensional vector space over R is Euclidean.

1. What is Euclidean space?

Euclidean space, also known as flat or Cartesian space, is a mathematical concept used to describe physical space. It is a type of space that follows the rules of Euclidean geometry, which includes concepts such as points, lines, planes, and angles.

2. How many dimensions does Euclidean space have?

Euclidean space can have any number of dimensions, but it is most commonly represented in three dimensions. These dimensions are typically labeled as x, y, and z.

3. How is Euclidean space different from non-Euclidean space?

Unlike Euclidean space, non-Euclidean space does not follow the rules of Euclidean geometry. This means that concepts such as parallel lines not intersecting and the sum of angles in a triangle being 180 degrees may not hold true in non-Euclidean space.

4. What are some real-world applications of Euclidean space?

Euclidean space is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is commonly used in designing and constructing buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in navigation and surveying.

5. Can Euclidean space be extended to include more dimensions?

Yes, Euclidean space can be extended to include any number of dimensions, but it becomes more difficult to visualize and understand as the number of dimensions increases. In mathematics, Euclidean space can be extended to include an infinite number of dimensions, known as n-dimensional space.